We received these interesting pictures from Ralph Khaw (from Perth, Australia). He also emailed us a short explanation for the above pictures:

“I can’t remember the date of the singout organised in MGS , involving students from MGS,ACS,SMI. I played a small part as a member of Choir. The teacher singing is Eddie Chin,teacher of MGS. One of female lead singer is Lim Siok Kim.( who later became my
sister-in-law and now residing in St Albans,UK). Miss Devi was the teacher and conductor/director of the musical “Sing-out”. A few months later it was performed in KL, due to its popularity but can’t remember the hall /venue. I can’t remember the name of the other female lead singer. The songs were from Oklahoma, and a few musical plays.

According to Ralph, he was also in this choir (back row, top from right). Anyone remember this singout? It couldn’t have been that long ago. Perhaps, some of the singers are reading this now? DO tell us MORE about this singout :)

1. Jacinta Lip says:

Ralph, Thanks for the memories, you seem to have crossed my path more times in our extracurricular life, unfortunately I was on the extreme left top row and missing in your photo. Anderson School, Yuk Choy School and Main Convent also sent participants, that’s how I got in singing alto! It will interest you that a copy of MGS production “Sing Out 1968″ on CD is available. Ms Devadason was back in Malaysia a few years ago with a tape copy and a young man transferred it to CD.

The Ipoh production was Ms Devadason’s inspiration from the same American musical “Up with People: the Sing Out musical” whose tunes are available on iTunes. The lyrics are wonderfully uplifting in that they arouse our sense of self, duty, country, people and unity, lyrics such as: Up With People, You can’t live crooked and think straight, What colour is God’s skin, Don’t stand still, Run and catch the wind, Freedom isn’t free, and more. One song which still nags me is the one we sang and adapted from the American version:
    “Which way Malaysia, which way to go,
    This is my country and I want to know,
    Which way Malaysia is going to go!”

I most enjoyed singing “Ezekial connected dem dry bones …. now hear the word of the Lord” which Oh Teik Hee (SMI) delivered with so much spirit and enthusiasm; he whistled very well too. Other songs from Mary Poppins and Sound of Music were added for entertainment.

Jacinta, that sounds like a great set of songs that as old as I am, I still recognise. How can I get a copy of the CD for our archives please?

3. Lam Lai Meng says:

Ian,

Your request for the SING OUT CD is noted. It’ll take a while to organise that. I’ll email you on that matter.

The SING OUT was performed in 1968. It was such a wonderful surprise that Ralph posted a SING OUT photo in the Ipohworld blog. In the photo, the female lead singer at the mike with Eddy Chin is Mrs Sharon Lam, a teacher from Yuk Choy school. She has the most amazing voice ever, and is still singing in her 70s. She lives in Ipoh. Ralph’s sister-in-law, Lim Seok Kim, is seated in the front row with a corsage on her dress.

The most popular song in the SING OUT must be “Dry Bones”, sung by Michaelian Oh Teik Hee who still resides in Ipoh. Miss Olive Devadason, the director of the SING OUT, resides in Perth now. (Ralph, take note). It was the MGS principal of that period, Miss Ruth Ho (Mrs Lindley later on), now residing in Hawaii, who led me to Olive in 2009. When Olive came back to Malaysia that year, she brought back a cassette tape of the SING OUT. A friend’s son managed to transfer the songs to a CD. It was amazing that most of the songs on the tape were still quite clear after more than 40 years! The tape even contained a speech by Miss Ho.

Olive comes back to Malaysia every year and a group of us make it a point to meet up with her. She was my form teacher in Form 5 and was in charge of the MGS choir. Some time last year, she was asked to do the scripture reading at her church in Perth. It happened to be a passage from the Book of Ezekiel, about the valley of the dry bones. So, instead of reading from the scripture, she played them “Dry Bones” from the SING OUT CD! The whole congregation was amazed and applauded madly. She rang to tell me about it. Olive was one of those fantastic teachers who made school life so interesting for us. Unfortunately, she only does snail mail and phone calls.

4. Ralph Khaw Teng How says:

Yes,I would love to see the cd . My sis in law,Kim, told me about it but I wasn’t,t sure.she is the lead singer with Eddie chin,who is teaching singing in KL now.
    Was it in 1967/68/66?
    I remember the banjo and the lovely songs ,how we enjoy it and the trip to KL too.

5. Toh Nyin Hwa says:

I was also at the Singout. I was the youngest there, standing at the end of front row. But disappointed that I cant see my picture. As I kept moving on, all my old photo albums have been thrown or destroyed, therefore sorry cant contribute anything to MGS blog. Maybe my other older sisters who are reading this might have a photo or two. I was also nicknamed the ‘Hanky Panky” girl at MGS talentime. Remember me anyone? I’m trying to reach my other classmates too. So please email your details to jessietoh56@yahoo.com. Tks a bunch.

• Yau Sook Fun says:

Hi Nyin Hwa , wonderful to be able to connect after so many years . Yau sook fun here, your ex classmate . Yes you were that famous Hanky panky girl we all loved . Will email you.

• sk says:

Hi Yau Sook Fun, Nice to see you dropping in. I have reorganised the songs to tally with the song sheet & I have extended one copy to Jessie Toh. If you need one, I can extend one copy to you. You can request my email from the Editor – Ipohworld. It was a great work done by all you.

Hi TNH, welcome to our world, ipohworld. Sorry you cannot see yourself in the photos but maybe your comment will bring in more. If your sisters do have any photos we would be delighted to share them with our readers. So please ask them when it is convenient.

7. Toh Gim Heok (Sally) says:

Yes I was at the singout. 2nd Photo. Back row 3rd from left. Sister of Toh Nyin Hwa. I dont have these photos anymore. Was glad to see this photo as it brings back memories.

8. Ralph Khaw Teng How says:

I remember Pearl Toh,Sally Toh and the brother who played in the band accompanying the singout, and the youngest sister who sings and dance the hanky Panky. Are you all still in Ipoh.? I am the one who send in the photos and I managed to meet Ms Devadason in Perth here last month after 40 years. Thanks a lot to Lai meng who emailed me the songs and I managed to get the book of the singout from Olive Devadson.Can email me – r.thkhaw@live.com.au and I can email the book and songs to U all.
    Khaw Teng How
    Perth

After we have got this week over (with two holidays) we can have a look at doing that as we have a copy of the disk. I womder whether I need permission from the owner of the original?.

10. Servander Kaur says:

Hi there. Am not one of the singers but remember the event. I was there in the audience. I am an MGS girl and Miss Olive Devadason was my form teacher. Would love to catch up with other class mates.

• Lam Lai Meng says:

Hi to all respondents re SINGOUT 1968! Sorry, I haven’t visited the Ipohworld blog for 2 years, I think, looking at the mail trail!

Ika, please go ahead and put the SINGOUT CHOIR songs on YouTube if you wish. I can assure you that Miss Olive Devadason would not mind. In fact, she is now back on holiday in Malaysia and a few of us will be having a get together with her on 1 Jan 2015 in Petaling Jaya.

Servander, are you living in the UK? One of our 1968 girls came back for our big 60th year reunion in 2011. Was it you?

Cheah Siew Eng, I remember you. Weren’t you from the class of ’69 together with Geok Sim? If you are in KL, would you like to join us on 1 Jan 2015 for dinner with Olive? You can email to me at lmlam51@gmail.com.

• ika says:

Yes it has been a long time and in the period we have moved office, rewritten our software and the store, run a few exhibitions and so on. Consequently I have to tell you that we do not know exactly where the disc is located and it may take a while to find it. If you still have it on disk therefore it would be quicker if you could send us a new copy or transfer the file by WeTransfer or similar.

My apologies for this request but if you saw our store you would understand. Thanks in anticipation.

11. Larry N says:

So Eddy had sung those songs from “Oklahoma!” … no wonder he sang with such flair at a Bangsar concert about a decade ago. I’d wanted to approach him and said “hello” then, but doubted that he’d remember the junior artist from the ACS Art club. His voice was still rich in that presentation: wonder if he’s still singing today?

Ralph Khaw Teng How:

I do remember it is sometime in 1967/68.

Yes. Performances were offered on two consecutive days in March, 1968.

I attended the evening show on the first day. It was … wonderful.

I wrote:

I attended the evening show on the first day.

To be precise: my diaries say I attended the evening performance on March 8.

And the venue: the St. John Ambulance Association Hall on Anderson Road.

Ralph Khaw Teng How:

I am the one who send in the photos

Many thanks, Ralph.

Lam Lai Meng:

What a good story — and tribute!

Jacinta Lip:

Anderson School, Yuk Choy School and Main Convent also sent participants

Yes, and the two other guest schools were ACS and SMI — but most of the singers were from MGS, of course.

Yes, that was certainly a highlight!

“Which way Malaysia, which way to go,
    This is my country and I want to know,
    Which way Malaysia is going to go!”

Well, the less I say here about that the better.

But many, many thanks to you and ipohWorld for bringing back a happy memory.

ika:

Dear ika, if you promise to be very, very good, I shall refrain from sending you a CD with me singing the songs.

Just noticed the Magic Word – “Anderson School participated “. If you are able to get the disc or a pictures of the other Schools, it would be a national treasure. Do share with us or if we can buy it. e bay etc.
    Larry Ng – Your question if Mr Eddy Chin still sings. Yes, he does – In Trinity Methodist Church , PJ and he is also a Voice Trainer. I think he still sings in functions . We can still his booming voice in a recent Anderson School Meet Up.
    Larry Ng – Your name sounds the same from my schoolmate Larry Ng Hon Wah but since you came from ACS Arts club – very unlikey you came from Anderson School.

Hi IKA, thanks for the Audio Links, Part 1 & 2 of the write ups. I thought there was a video presentation whereby you can put into You Tube. Maybe that time, dont have video or phone corder yet.

Hi Ika, Thanks for your links. Extended to Mr Eddy Chin & he was delighted and it was a nostalgic trip fro him. Are the Audios all in the link or only part.It will be good if the Audio can be rename like Jolly Holiday etc – Jolly Holiday was very well sung by Mr Eddy Chin & Ms Lim Seok Kim. Ms Lim sang like a professional and she has a beautiful voice. Hope she sees these write ups.

Hi Larry Ng, Mr . Eddy Chin teaches singing in Ipoh fortnightly on Sundays & Fridays in Malacca . He doesnt sing in Trinity Methodist Church at the moment.

Hi Ika, How nice if they can organise this Same MGS Sing Out for an Re enactment.
    If not in person but in Tele conferencing since most of them are all over the world.
    Would be good to hear Sharon Lam, Lim Seok Kim, Oh Teik Kee, Eddy Chin, Yeow Chin Hock, Neoh Leng Chuan in Banjo Mandolin & etc perform. Would Ipohworld organsie this historic event ?

Thanks, Ipohworld for putting another Musical Performance from ACS ” Brigadoon”.
    This was done in 1965. Maybe singers from MGS Singout may have an idea of this Musical. Any CD on this play ?