fridayblogpicture courtesy of: Mohamad Sharizan bin Mohd. Supian

No, this isn’t a scene from the movie Grease…..neither is this a very young version of John Travolta ;)

We just thought of sharing this cute picture with all of you.

The kid appears to be a boy. Well, I hope no finger will wag at me for being flippant ………….

The picture brings back many memories of our childhood and also our children’s and grandchildren’s. I don’t have any grands as yet.

Like the kid, we must have at one time or another had experiences like so.

I used to enjoy driving the bump cars at Jublee Park. It was one of the most popular stalls which we had to fight for our turns. Forget about queuing up. We often had to jostle for the next in line.

When my son and I returned to Ipoh, he used to make a bee line to the play area at Super Kinta where there were many shapes and sizes that one could play with. Some went for the limousines while others went for the Jeep for example.

These toys in recreational and shopping centres were very popular attractions at one time.

Outside almost all supermarkets at one time, there were stationary ones on offer. One very common example was the Post Man Pat van with the song as well.

On a recent trip to Alor Star, I saw many similar toys for hire next to the Menara. They even had the electric skate boards.

Big boys and girls like us may possibly go for the Segways at recreational parks although I have not tried it.

• NCK says:

I remember driving the cars in Jubilee Park before I started schooling, brought there by my loving aunts. Another thing I remember playing at the Park was the merry-go-round horses.

I don’t know if those cars were called bumper cars (or dodgems in British). I don’t think they had rubber bumpers all round. At least they were not as powerful as today’s bumper cars that have long conducting rods sticking up to touch the power net above, dragging off electric sparks and burnt smell. As a preschool kid then, I was seldom bumped.

There was a stainless steel button on the right side of the car deck for the driver to step on and move the car. You put in a coin (I think 20sen, or maybe a token) for your joy ride. The first time I drove one, I was puzzled when the car stopped and refused to move even though I kept pressing on the button with my foot. Then, I learnt that it had timed out.

Hi NCK,

Bump cars, bumping cars, bumper cars, dodgems all refer to the same thing. Dodgem is the brand.

Their designs have changed over the years including how they supply the electricity.

Nowadays, bump cars, merry go rounds and the likes are still very much alive in seaside resort towns, travelling fairs and some holiday resorts.

I saw one travelling fair parked off ‘Tasek’ Road near Kinta City recently. It was evident by its multi colour ferris wheel.

I forgot to mention that there are some restrictions on age with regards to riding on bump cars.

I cannot recall during the Jubilee Park days but I am sure there were such rules. I might have managed to flout them for all you know.

According to one site, a 5 year old would need to be accompanied by an adult and an 8 year old can drive the car.

There was no mention about younger children. I think they are most likely not allowed. The risk of whiplash could well be high.

On a different note, many rides have had major incidents over the years.

The latest involved a white water ride in the UK, when a young girl was killed.

As a result, all such rides are closed.

• NCK says:

I suppose you are talking about today’s bump cars on the age restrictions. I think these cars are only suitable for the young-at-heart, not children. On the contrary, the restrictions at Jubilee Park then must be to forbid adults.

Hi NCK,

I am not sure about Jubilee Park days. I think restrictions on children did apply. I think adults went on them as well.

As for the current age restrictions, one can easily find out on websites.

• NCK says:

The cars were played by children then. Today’s bumper cars rather seem to be designed for adults who are young-at-heart. What with the power level, the electric sparks, the burnt smell, and the dim atmosphere at night, you just don’t think the cars are suitable for children.

2. NCK says:

By the way, I believe the toy car in the photo was a pedal car (that was powered by two foot pedals). Pedal cars with plastic bodies used to be fairly common household items in the ’80s. The car in the photo seemed to have a metallic body. So, the shot should have been taken before the ’80s.

I’m pretty sure we discussed Triang toys here recently.

The car in the photograph is a Triang T30 from the late ’50s or early ’60s, and quite valuable these days in almost any condition.