blog30

We thank Thomas Lee for sharing this photograph with us. These happy children seem every excited about their lanterns. Did YOU own such a lantern when you were their age?

Yes, of course I did when I was in New Pasir Puteh. My neighbour used his “lastic”
    or ” elastic” meaning a catapult, to shoot the lanterns. Real naughty children.

2. Mano says:

Growing up in a predominantly Chinese community, I too joined in with a lantern of my own; invariably a ‘dragon’. And, oh, the mooncakes! They must’ve been made by the Moon Goddess herself! Some years later, when we moved to Lim Gardens, sadly, there were no more lantern festivals as the residents were mostly Indians but we never missed out on the mooncakes. My mother, who loved Chinese, would buy and kept buying the mooncakes till the season was over. My dad added to the hoard too! We even had the Chinese chestnuts or maroni if that’s what it was. It had a sharp ‘horn’ at each end looking like a well groomed upturned moustache! Fast forward years later and it was my daughter and I carrying boxes and boxes of mooncakes that we had bought at the Subang Parade shopping centre, Subang Jaya, much to the amusement of the Chinese shoppers there. One day, my daughter echoed what I had wished for many years ago. Mooncakes should be sold all year round!:)

3. S.Y. says:

Ayoh, Mano cannot eat mooncakes the whole year round. Firstly, the price – they cost something like RM17 each. I used to buy from Kam Ling Restaurant in Kampar that one box will cost RM12 (or RM3 each). Secondly, think of the colesterol. Nowadays, people prefer the single yoke (no fun eating the “no yoke”). Then there are the double yoke. The ultimate one is of course the four yokes (actually pay for the price of the salted eggs). Actually, you can go to a biscuit shop and purchase moon cakes the whole year round, or something similar to moon cakes – the ingredients are about the same.

Then comes the lanterns. The traditional one will be the lotus shape. They they went into the coin shape and later to aeroplane. After that the lanterns came in all shapes and sizes even to rockets, etc. The earlier ones (or the original ones) had a candle (often the lantern will catch fire and that is the end of your lantern), Later, they had batteries and a small bulb. I once owned a big aeroplane (wings span three feet). This was made by a trishaw rider (limited edition) and made of newspaper. It was a sad parting when I eventually had to give it up. Then there are the “chow mah tung” – a hexagonal shape lantern with various figures (sometimes paper people riding on horses) going round on a carousel. The carousel will go round with the hot air from the candle flowing up and making the carousel move.

4. NCK says:

I suppose only young children below 10 play lanterns. I have had my share of the fun. Regrettably, I have not seen any of the ‘chow ma tung’ (literally, running-horse lanterns) mentioned by SY. A yoke in a mooncake contains the same amount of cholesterol in an egg you consume in your daily meals, in the form of half-boiled egg, fried egg, omelette, or accompaniment in fried rice, fried noodle, or any dish that goes with your rice.

• NCK says:

Four-yoke mooncakes, my favourite, are not very popular (because of cholesterol scare, I suppose). So far I can only find them in Oversea restaurant, priced above RM30 a piece.

• NCK says:

Looks like Mano spelt it first. The two words are easily confused for non-natives. I checked because of my past mistakes and found that I spelt wrong again.

5. Mano says:

I did?! Ah, well, I guess it’s like soul and sole. That’s another one I get mixed up with as well.
    SY, your description of all the different lanterns brought back fond memories. Thank you.

• NCK says:

My apology, Mano. Either I read it wrong or I thought wrong, or I typed wrong. I don’t know which of my body part that failed me and had me wrong you.