Looks like the grand opening of a store in Ipoh. The back of these photographs say it’s the Premier Store, Ipoh (dated 11 Jan 1968). Any idea where in Ipoh this place was?

blog50a

blog50b

The gentleman cutting the ribbon is none other than Sultan Idris Al-Mutawakkil Alallahi Shah, and the lady beside him is his consort YTM Che Puan Negara Aminah. We thank our anonymous donor  for sharing these photographs with us.

Looks like in Jalan Yang Kalsom opposite the Chinese Methodist Church but I am not sure. Picture showed The Central Finance Building & The First General Insurance Company. The 1st picture showed a Clock at 5.30 ( pm ? ) . That looked like a UMBC logo with a Malaya Map. I thought there was one UMBC in Jalan Yang Kalsom. Stand to be corrected.

Hi SK.
    Thanks for your quick response. I didn’t think of Jalan Yang Kalsom at all….kept thinking this place was closer to New/Old Town.

felicia writes:

I don’t remember this store.

One thing I do remember about the middle of January, 1968, is that the Shah of Iran and his Empress, the former Miss Farah Diba, were in Ipoh and they had lunch in KK with the Sultan — but that’s another story.

More helpfully, sk writes:

You’re right.

There was a UMBC branch on Jalan Yang Kalsom in the early ’60s. In the early ’70s the bank moved into “Bangunan UMBC” further down the street. (That building later became a hotel, I think, but I don’t know if it’s still there.)

In the first photograph above, to the left of the UMBC branch, we can see some trees: those trees were in the churchyard that sk mentions. I think the church is still there, but I suppose the trees are not.

As for Central Finance: before moving to Jalan Yang Kalsom in the mid-60s, the company was briefly a tenant in the Cheng Bok Building (I will write more about that elsewhere). Among other things, Central Finance dealt in cars: they had some sort of deal with Tan Chong (but I do not remember the details).

Thanks Ipoh Remembered for the clarification. If it was correct, next to this store was a porridge shop which I liked the porridge very much. He cooked them in claypots & served piping hot. Yes, the Chinese Methodist Church is still there. That was where my Mom attended & occasionally I attended until I switched to Wesley Church at the ACS school ground.

5. Ken Chan says:

Spot on. That was the official opening of the Bata Premier Store on Jln. Yang Kalsom. The store occupied two shopfronts and was very well-stocked. Popular designs and odd sizes of Bata shoes that were hard to find in other outlets were usually available in this store. Compared to the regular Bata stores, the Premier Store’s approach to merchandising was avant-garde. Shoes were attractively displayed in neat shelves, within easy reach and primarily at eye-level. This spacious store had better ambience than most of the other shoe shops in town.

Hi Aaron. We are happy to see you back on ipohWorld after so long. Do come back again soon as your memories are always valuable.

Yes that was the Bata shop opposite the church.