20100104-002a

Oops, I guess the decor in the malls must have gotten me in the Christmas mood early this year. This here is a photograph taken in 1956 of the soldiers from the 12th Infantry Workshop REME (Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers) organizing a Christmas party at their base in Ipoh for the orphans and the helpers of the Main Convent orphanage.

I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and look forward to a great 2018.

Hi Christopher, some shops started to make us feel Chrismassy in October.

I wonder whether the carol singing that was once very popular in Ipoh is still happening.

I remember the Assembly of God people from Kampar Road regularly turning up at our place for the carol.

It first set up its base in Housing Trust when I was a kid.

My mother used to take me along to attend Sunday service at the Methodist Church along Jalan Yang Kalsom.

The recollection is rather for nostalgic reasons of past experiences.

Hi Ngai C O,Merry Christmas to you & Happy New Year 2018 to you too & readers of Ipohworld too. Ngai CO, if you attended Chinese Methodist Church Jalan Yang Kalsom until 1970, then we could have crossed path, as fellow Methodistian.
    Yes, I also attended AOG in Kampar road once or twice. If you know Sam Ho & Belinda Ho, then you are in the same era. God Bless & Cheers.

Thank You very much Ipoh Remembered and sk.

I have not clicked ‘Ipoh etc’ since my last posting as I was preoccupied with something else.

It is good to hear both of you, NCK, Mano, Ruth and the other regulars are still actively contributing and sharing your pieces.

sk, regarding the Methodist Church, we might have well have crossed over. I was ‘baptised’ at the church. My mother and I attended the Chinese section. The period was between 1960 and 1963 after which I stopped going.

It was also during this period or earlier that Pastor Beard and his wife set up the Assembly of God at the newly built Housing Trust.

My sister was drawn to this church; so I followed her to Sunday School in between the Methodist service. I dropped out after 1963.

Incidentally, my sister met her late husband at the Assembly of God. She still keeps in touch with the ‘first and possibly second generation’ worshippers.

If you are referring to Pastor Ho, then I would have met him briefly in the 80′s. I believe my sister would more than likely know the Ho’s.

Have you come across Samuel Yeong and Henry Abel, who were both in the Assembly of God up to a point?

Ngai CO. Thank you for your excellent memory of Methodist Church. I cant remember who was the Pastor then. There was one lady whom we called ” Yee Koo”
    who had a son Pastoring in that Church. They have migrated to Australia.
    As for the Assembly of Good, So Sorry, I cant remember the Pastors there either as I was not a regular. I was termed a “CEO” ( Christmas, Easter & Others ) Christian :)

Hi sk,

Good Morning.

Timely that you mentioned ‘Yee Koo’ because she used to visit my mother regularly up to the 80′s.

I do know her from when I was first tagged along to the church way back even before my primary school.

If my recollection is right, she used to wear the cheong sam.

My mother, who is 98, still has the Chinese bible under her mattress. She has the same one since she took up Christianity. Must be over 70 years ago.

And Dr. Ng Yoke Hing also hailed from ACS Ipoh and a Methodist himself, I believe.

Hi Ngai CO, Wow , God bless your mother of 98 yers old! Now I recollect. She has a son, Pastor Jacob Lim who had migrated to Australia.Yes, “Yee Koo” wore Cheong Sam ” . We visited her when she was admitted to the General Hospital In Kuala Lumpur. Yes, Dr. Ng Yoke Hing hailed from ACS. His wife- the Chairman of Board of Governors of MGS Ipoh, gave away the token of appreciation on the MGS Sing Out 1968. She was in min 1.30 of this treasured audio file http://www.ipohworld.org/2017/12/04/we-wish-you-a-merry-youre-3-weeks-early/#comment-135412
    Cheers.

Hi sk,

Thanks for the audio clip.

I just had a chat with my sister in Ipoh, which I always do every evening.

On inquiring about ‘Yee Koo’, she said she passed away probably about 10 years ago.

Anyone going to Methodist Church would never miss her ever presence.

One could say she was a pillar of the church and was totally dedicated.

In hindsight, ‘Yee Koo’ always went out of her way to visit church goers, who lapsed for all manner of reasons – to find out if everything was okay for example.