blog_20 Dec

Our featured celebrity was educated at ACS, Ipoh. He studied medicine in Singapore and subsequently spent his entire working life in Ipoh. In recognition for his contributions to the medical profession, this gentleman was given the highest award of Honorary Membership (in 1984) by the Malayan Medical Association. Besides his dedication to his job, he also played cricket, rugby, and hockey.

By now some of you may already know WHO our featured celebrity is. He’s none other than Dato Dr. A. W. E. Moreira; the picture shows him (seated on the left) together with his wife Mavis. As you all know, there is a road named after him too!

Besides Moreira, I also remember two other locally bred popular doctors, Dr. Ng Yook Hing and Dr Underwood.

My mother took me to see Dr. Ng a number of times when as a child, usually to do with high fever and swollen glands.

2. Shyamala says:

I remember Dr Moreira. Always had a jar of sweets on his table. My late grandfather was treated by him in the 60s. His clinic used be on the same row as FMS.

Yes, You are right, Ngai CO. Dr Ng Yoke Hing was my family doctor & attended Wesley Church. I remember as a kid, I was so frightened about an injection he was giving me. I was restrained by his nurse & staff & held me down. I cried at this ordeal. Ha3.

Yes, I remember Winston. His father worked for Jack Jennings, until he didn’t (they had a bitter disagreement; words like “betrayal” were used).

Winston went off to Singapore to study medicine and came back with a medical degree and a wife, Reenie. They lived on Anderson Road.

Winston’s medical skills, sporting prowess, and good deeds are well-known. Reenie was a character, too. Among her public duties: when British officials and unofficials began to leave after merdeka, Reenie took over as head of the Ipoh branch of the Red Cross.

sk:

I wonder if he is the same doctor that has a clinic opposite the Sun Cinema.

Yes, as Shyamala implies above, Dr. Moreira’s clinic was near the Padang, on Brewster Road in Old Town.

If my memory is still sharp, Morereia’s practice was a few doors away from the FMS.

I also believe Dr. Underwood’s was in the same row of shop houses.

Dear Christopher

May I ask where ipohWorld obtained the photograph and whether there is a date associated with it?

• ika says:

Hi Ipoh Remembered. The photo comes from a glossy 4 page pamphlet published sometime after his death in Australia in 1985. There is no reference to publisher or author or date of publication. The only title is “Personalities” s at the top of the first page. The pamphlet was given to us by one of the LaBrooy family in 2010. The caption under the photo has no date.

• IKA says:

Ipoh Remembered. It says Moreira and Wife, Mavis. This could mean that the photo was taken before 197- when he became Dato’, or maybe I am wrong.

Dear IKA

197- when [Dr. Moreira] became Dato

It was 1970, I believe, the same year Jeyaratnam (of Turf Club fame) was similarly honoured.

I may have a little more to say about the photograph, but am pressed for time this week, sorry.

Thanks, meanwhile, for providing the caption.

7. S.Sundralingam says:

Dr.Moreira was our family doctor. My late father was his friend for two reasons, firstly Dr. Moreira is a Ceylon Burgher and secondly, because both had a very strong passion for hockey. Dr. Moreira had treat me couple of times. He is a very friendly man, always treat me well and giving me sweets. In 1967, I broke my nose due to some sports activities, he was the who treated me. Maybe, I am breathing today because for him.

8. Leong Ng says:

Hi Old Salts,
    I am Leong Fook Ng, eldest son of (the late) Dr Ng Yok Hing. I am posting this to ensure accuracy of the reporting. My late dad practised in Ipoh between 1949 and till 1996 when he semi retired (no decent doctor fully retires). You may know his elder brother, the late Dr Ng Wah Hing and younger brother, Mr Ng Pak Hing.

I am now nearly 66 and have gone around a full circle of medical adventures in UK, Europe, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and Australia – as a GP, Internist, Paediatrician, Medical Oncologist and Rural Generalist! I am still practising though I am eligible for a pension from UK and Australia! My daughter says she will never study medicine – and she is very wise.

9. Leong Ng says:

I missed out on Low Mo’s caning whilst in school because I was younger and got Brian Foenander who was more formidable. I was a School Prefect and got double! My good friend Marriapan Odiman – some of you may remember him – he is now in his early 70s and still very active: a Malaysian and a UK PR residing in Penang and Slim River…you may write to get his mobile contact. I missed the recent 59-71 reunion in Ipoh as I was studying in Poland and later in Lugano, Switzerland.

Dear Leong Ng

It’s good to hear from the son of Dr. Ng Yok Hing.

I am posting this to ensure accuracy of the reporting.

Thank you. Was there something inaccurate above? Please feel free to specify.

• Leong Ng says:

I am posting from rural Victoria Australia. I shall be gone – to Queensland in several days – returning to a Gladstone practice. Thank you for responding so quickly. In between I have travelled to London and back within the 10 days, attending a conference and visiting my old haunts in Cornwall. I have spelt the name of my late father and uncles correctly and have stated his years of semi retirement.

For those you who may want to write privately, my contacts are: drlfng1@gmail.com and +61 477 278 477

It was zero deg last week, now, 4 – 8 deg C with the cold wind coming from Mt Baw Baw a beginner’s ski resort.

Dear Leong Ng … Now that you mention the spelling, I see there were several earnest attempts! Thanks for providing corrections and additional details.