blog59

Yes, that’s what I’d like to ask our local coffee drinkers out there. How come this particular bag of coffee came in 11 kilos? I always thought such goods were packed in either even numbered weights or in multiples of 5 (or basic 1 kilo or 1/2 kilo). Could it be a misprint? Or, did this factory just want to stand out and be different…by selling coffee powder in 11 kilo bags ;)

I do wonder as well. The coffee beans and ground coffee that I buy come in 227 gram packs, which appears odd too. Five packs would make it to 1.135 kg.

There are some packs that are rounded up to whole numbers like 200grms, 500grms.

What does kopi campuran mean? Is it the ratio of different types of beans used?

What does Gred 1 mean? It is too vague.

Dear felicia

Yes, that’s what I’d like to ask our local coffee drinkers out there. How come this particular bag of coffee came in 11 kilos?

Was the label found on a bag? Seems heavy at 11 kilos.

And did you try calling the office telephone number provided on the label? Does the company no longer exist? (I can’t guess how old the label is.)

Final question: “Mentega” is butter, yes?

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

I missed the ingredients below, which comprised coffee beans, sugar, butter or more likely margarine and salt. Not sure about proportion of each ingredient used.

When ground, the weight would definitely be less due to losses.

It appears to be a bag of roasted coffee beans, maybe for the coffee shop, which is a high consumer. Definitely not packed for the average household.

3. homesickforipoh says:

When red packets were given, sometimes it is given as $1.10 instead of $1.
    So I guess the coffee packets were deliberately packed as 11 kilos instead of 10 kilos.

BTW, I recognize the fuel capacity of my Toyota is 11.5 gallons instead of 11 gallons.
    And when I have used up to 11 gallons, the “empty fuel” lights come on.
    I believe the extra is intended to give us time to refuel or replenish.

So I believe the coffee packaging is also meant to give us time to buy a new pack before this pack runs out.

Just my humble two cents opinion.

• felicia says:

Hello Homesickforipoh,
      Hmm….what you said does make sense. Maybe this brand of coffee is deliberately packed such to give us time to buy another pack when we’re running low.

Dear Ngai C O

Thank you for pointing this out. I’m a little slow!

——

Dear homesickforipoh

I recalled mum told me many Chinese believe in “11′s or ’21′s and not round numbers. When red packets were given, sometimes it is given as $1.10 instead of $1. The extra 1 symbolises “more than enough”, a symbol of abundance and prosperity.

That’s a great observation! Thank you.

——

Dear Mano

Thanks for the translation(s)!

Also, what’s the difference between “kupu-kupu” and “rama-rama”?

——

Dear felicia

Thanks for providing the date.

5. IKA says:

Just a point of ipohWorld history, I collected this poster when I visited the factory in 2007, long before I had any staff to help me with this project. The factory was very operational then and the aroma of coffee was wonderful.

2007 was the year we built our first database with the help of Tenby School IT executive and this poster was entered by my first temporary staff member from the school in December that year. That database was hacked a couple of years later and we lost a lot of stuff. A new database software came much later and we had to rebuild everything from scratch, plus add on a full years collected items that had to wait for the new database.

We were fortunate that the new database software was sponsored by a local company iosc.net.

Today we have a reliable back up system, Christopher and Felicia full time and a museum with three staff. We have come a long way since 11 Kilos!

Dear IKA … Thanks for adding “Just a point of ipohWorld history.” It’s as interesting, and as valuable, to me as the underlying project. Please add more such notes whenever time allows.

We have come a long way since 11 Kilos!

Yes: 11 years, in fact!

Hi IKA and Everyone at Ipohworld,

Congratulations to 11 years and now a dedicated team to keep the passion and mission of the history of Ipoh going.

Definitely a good start to the new year.