blog67

Before you ask, yes…we’ve checked on Google maps, and this shop doesn’t seem to exist now. Perhaps it has been replaced by another business….or maybe it now goes by another name. If so, do you know what happened to Heng Kee Paper Merchants?

My 2002/2003 Yellow Pages tells me Heng Kee at 26, Jalan Onn Jaafar, Tel no.05 254 0895.

Paper products probably meant those to be burnt in Taoist prayer offerings.

Now the shop at 26 is Perniagaan Zin Xin with the same telephone no.

It sell the paper product I described.

If you type Perniagaan Zin Xin Ki on google, you would find on the right the street view.

Dear felicia

I see that Ngai C O has given us some answers.

What I can add is that this block of shop-houses was designed by the firm of Keys & Dowdeswell, which was also responsible for the Mercantile Bank building on Station Road, the Times of Malaya building on Brewster Road, Lam Looking’s building on Laxamana Road, the Turf Club’s grand-stand, and so on.

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

You do have a good insight for many of Ipoh’s buildings, the architects, who and whos and the goings on.

Dear Ngai C O … This particular block of shop-houses is quite memorable in its design. In the back, there used to be external spiral stair-cases. I don’t know if they’re still there.

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

I believe the staircases you mentioned are still there. I am sure I did take some shots last year.

I was actually writing about it yesterday here but it never got posted because I pressed the wrong button. So I told myself, eh well, next time.

Glad to hear they are still there. Were they in good condition?

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

If you use the Zin Xin Ki google thing and move back to the next road to your right, it will take you to the back of the building, which shows the spiral staircase. The chimney stacks are still intact.

It is both functional and aesthetic, functional being a fire escape and the latter maybe about Roman spirals.

It is a contrast to the art deco as popularized by Iverson, who I believed was influenced by the French.

Dear Ngai C O … Thanks for the tip.

I wonder if the chimneys are still in use: I suppose the original kitchens are not there any more.

You’re right that the spiral stair-cases were there to comply with fire regulations. I don’t think they are common in Ipoh, though.

And yes, the block was designed in a Neo-Classical style, featuring both Greek and Roman forms and motifs.

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

I very much doubt the chimneys are in use. If they were we would not see any smoke because it is all gas cooking these days. The original fabric is as it was because hardly any major renovation work seemed to have been undertaken.

Except the wooden bits outside like windows, doors, soffits and roofs would have been replaced due to the damaging elements of the weather.

The side building still has the original windows though.

Dear Ngai C O … Thanks for the details re preservation. I’m glad you were able to see this block of shop-houses, and it’s good to know that at least the paper business survives.

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

In fact most of the shops in this block trade the same products. I have never seen such a concentration.

I think Ipohworld had another posting of a photo showing one of the shops.

Couple the location with the old Hume Street funeral houses, it did make sense, I suppose.

When I browsed through the displays last year, they had credit cards, mobile phones, computers, bras and knickers, bikini clad girls, mansions etc. Literally something for the young like Barbie dolls to the old like wheel chairs.

There must be a demand for the products on display.

Wonderful!

A town loses a lot when it loses its small shops and local commerce. Indistinct malls and global chain-stores are culturally deadening.