1. C K Leong says:

Excellent dinner with good quality polished silver wear, starched white cotton table cloth, metallic salt and pepper containers high backed dark wooden chairs, high ceiling fan and attentive serving staff. Those were the days of colonial dinning.

The chicken soup probably came from the tin.

There is a spelling error Fish Au Gratin.

All in all it was a heavy menu unless the portions were small.

These days starters would be very different things.

• IKA says:

The menu follows the very British style that I ate every night in the Royal Navy. Soup, Fish, Joint, Dessert, Savoury Fruit and Coffee. We and the rest of England would eat at 8pm.
        To ne that has rather more style than noodles at 5.30pm.
        By the way, what makes you think the soup was from a can. No self respecting chef would do that.

Hi Ika,

Thank you for sharing with readers the Royal Navy menu.

I have had my fair share of the English menu for many years, which I don’t think differ very much.

Whilst I had noodles for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper frequently in the past because it is a staple, I have it maybe once a month for a long, long time that I just cannot keep count of.

As for the soup, I said probably from the tin because of my past experience with British establishments like pubs, hotels etc.

I exclude the hotels with their executive chefs, which is in a different category.

Hi felicia,

I would happily swap my bowl of cornflakes with your Hakka noodles this morning. HaHaHa

By the way, I still have cream of chicken soup once in a while – only in cooler weather and in winter.

Non zero probability.

Dear felicia

It’s a wonder to see one of these menus after such a long time. Thanks!  (Is it the only one in the database?)

IKA:

A far cry from grog and lime juice!

Ngai C O:

The chicken soup probably came from the tin.

In 1955, on a Saturday night with ladies present, it might have been too obvious. Whereas on a hot week-day afternoon, even in 1955, I’d give it a non-zero probability.

• felicia says:

Ipoh Remembered, no…on our database we have a few such menus. We also have similar ones from Ipoh Club and Swimming Club too.

Dear felicia

Thanks. With your hint I found the Station Hotel menus. I have not looked for the other ones you mention, but I will.

Mano:

Looking at the pictures, one would almost expect ‘thosay’ and ‘idli’ on the menu!:)

Yes, I see what you mean.

If only the clientele had been more adventurous!

Ngai C O:

Would I ever!

C K Leong:

Those were the days

Well, for some of us, anyway.