Mon_blog_30thApril

A custom printed envelope from P. S. Jamnadass & Co. who were at 15 & 17, Market Street. Do you know of any other tailors whose businesses were at Market Street back in the day as well??

Market Street. The address is printed on the envelope shown above.

Incidentally, as we’ve discussed before, Tagore visited the same location when he spent time in Ipoh, but at the time it was not Jamnadass (although it was a very similar shop).

• IKA says:

In 1933 the shop of P S Jaminadas was at 132 Belfield Street as we have a similar envelope from the company there. The one above, from Market Street, is also from the same company but one year later. Did they move premises or did they have two shops?

We have evidence that the Market Street business was still active in 1938, but nothing more about the Belfield Street premises.

1. Ruth Rollitt says:

Jamnadas – a great shop where they had a sign pointing to the stairs, saying : We give ladies fits upstairs!

2. SY says:

IKA you mentioned P S Jaminadas instead of Jamnadas. Is that the same shop or a typing error? As far as I remember, up to 1963, Jamnadas was still in Market Street as I remember buying cuff links on behalf of my class as a going away present for a teacher who was leaving. I remember it was still around probably after 1969 but do not remember when they cease to carry on business there. I don’t remember them doing tailoring business in 1963 and thereafter there though.

3. SY says:

Incidentally, I always wonder why Market Street remains as Market Street. I would have expected it to be changed to Jalan Pasar or some other name since almost all the roads and streets have changed to names in BM or other names.

Hi SY,

It is known as Jalan Market. Jamnadas was located next to Kinta Engineering, a corner hardware shop, No 13.

In the 70s, it stocked a whole range of Buster Brown children’s clothes on the ground floor. Many of my daughter’s clothes were bought there.

Dear IKA

Jamnadass was at 15-17 Market before 1933. Three lots on that corner were bought by an Indian concern circa 1920 and remained under Indian ownership for decades.

Jamnadass must have occupied 132 Belfield for a short time in 1933. I’m not sure what they did there. Other Indian establishments on that short stretch of Belfield in the early ’30s included Chetiappa Chettiar’s shop, Sahib Jan’s office (later occupied by M. S. Ally), and the Labrooys’ somewhat peripatetic Caxton Press.

Elsewhen at 132 Belfield was the Ipoh Provision Store — but that’s another story.

——

Ngai C O:

Jamnadas was located next to Kinta Engineering, a corner hardware shop, No 13.

There was a photo studio at 13 Market in the early ’60s. Do you remember what Kinta Engineering’s previous location was? And does the company still exist?

As for your daughter’s clothes, did you ever buy her any at the Baby Shop next to Jamnadass?

——

SY:

As far as I remember, up to 1963, Jamnadas was still in Market Street […] I remember it was still around probably after 1969 but do not remember when they cease to carry on business there.

They were still there in the early ’70s but I don’t know what happened after that.

Incidentally, I always wonder why Market Street remains as Market Street.

Only one of Ipoh’s many mysteries, I’m sure you agree.

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

Kinta Engineering is still active but sells a different product range as compared to the ironmongery stuff it used to offer.

According to company Records, it was established in 1967, part of Chin Pek Soo.

Your recollection of a photo shop before may well be right.

As for the baby shop, was it not part of Jamnadas? As far as I can recall, it was.

By the way, IKA, with your background you probably know the name of Arthur & Co., to whom those envelopes from Jamnadass were addressed — but for those who don’t recognize it, the company, established when Ipoh was still only a few huts at a river-bend, was a clothing wholesaler founded by one James Arthur, although by the time those envelopes were sent, it was probably his grandson who was ruling the roost.

Dear Ruth

</blockquote

Very droll — but, alas, I don't remember that sign!

I do remember the ones that said "Tailoring Department Upstairs," pointing the way for both men and women.

Hi Ruth,

I do remember Jamnadas also sold the Ladybird brand.

I also remember the leather shoe maker opposite the shop, that you mentioned.

Caxton Press was somewhere opposite as well, if I am not mistaken.

Dear Ngai C O

According to company Records, [Kinta Engineering] was established in 1967, part of Chin Pek Soo.

Thanks for looking it up. Which records did you refer to? I’ve seen a June 1967 incorporation date listed in some places, but I also remember that the company (or at least, a company with the same name) was around in the 1950s.

At any rate I’m glad to hear it’s still around. Certainly towkay Chin’s family still is.

Your recollection of a photo shop before may well be right.

It was called Fun Foto, but I do not know how much fun it was.

At least officially, it was a separate shop with a separate name — which, alas, I cannot recall.

At some point the owners shut it down and moved to the KL area where they opened a similar shop (it may even have had the same name as the Ipoh original, but I’m not sure).

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

The other shop could be Kinta Electrical Engineers or Engineering along Hugh Low Street, a few doors away from Chung Kiew Bank.

It was an upmarket electrical contractor and stockist at the time. I think it was owned by Eurasians.

Dear Christopher

Do you know of any other tailors whose businesses were at Market Street back in the day as well??

Yes, in the ’20s and early ’30s a number of Indian tailors set up their businesses on Market Street. Just as Jamnadass ran a Tailoring Department upstairs, so had previous occupants of the space. And a little further down the street on the same block, there was another Indian tailor.

At the same time there were also a couple of Chinese tailors on either side of the street; and one of these was also a shoe-maker, the one that Ruth Rollitt has mentioned before, whose shop was right across the street from Jamnadass.

Dear Ngai C O

The other shop could be Kinta Electrical Engineers or Engineering […]

Yes, it could have been, I suppose.

At this point, I remember that the Kinta Engineering Co. was around in the ’50s and ’60s but beyond that I’m sorry to say I just can’t recall much about it.

Nevertheless, thanks for the hints.