Untitled-1

From the second picture, we know that this building is about 105 years old!

So, Buntong folks (and those familiar with the area) do you know WHAT this building used to be?

We thank Alexandar for submitting these photos.

1. Wong says:

Regat Tun Perak, a small road off Jalan Tun Perak. If you come from Bus Station Roudnabout follow Jalan Tun Abdul Razak, at the 1st traffic light turn right into Jalan Tun Perak, then after those old shops at your left(I think they are more than 100 years old too), turn left, thats Regat Tun Perak.

2. Tan says:

Jln Tun Perak used to be called Connolly Road but had forgotten the old name for regat Tun Perak. Had my haircut done there by a mute barber. Used to buy charcoal from one of the shop. Restring my badminton racquet at one of the shop. There’s also a indian pisang goreng stall right across the street serving great tasting and piping hot pisang goreng and karipap! those were the days :)

3. Charlie says:

Regat Tun Perak was previously known as Jelf Road. It runs parallel to the railway lines. There is even a small parking lot by the side where you can park and go through an underground passageway, that runs under the tracks, to get to the Ipoh Railway Station.

Hi Tan. I think I know the stall you’re talking about…and YES, the pisang goreng and karipap were delicious :) I wonder if that stall is still there….
    Charlie, I didn’t know about this tunnel. But now you’ve made me curious….the next time I pass by that area, I shall look out for it ;)

5. rosebud says:

In the late 60s as a young lad,I used to cycle past this unique cul de sac with about a dozen shophouses on each side facing each other. I find this unique because it was such a quiet & non happening place that I never once had a reason to go inside. I forgot about this place until now. Anyone know its history & why this place was built in the first place?I remember Connolly Rd to have an old Christian cemetary where my paternal grandparents are buried. Opposite it is a sports Club with a field & next to it an indoor badminton hall.

Hi Ah Lai. not sure of the boundaries of the area, but i think this is part of Buntong. perhaps someone with a better knowledge of the area could tell us….

7. Mano says:

Something else came to mind, the bus to Buntong dispalyed the destination board as Guntong. Yes, with a ‘G’ instead of ‘B’. Do they still do that and why?

8. Charlie says:

Astro made a series called “Apa Dosa Ku” about the story of Sybil Kathigasu a few years ago. They used this corner shophouse as the exterior of Dr AC Kathigasu Ipoh Clinic and the street in front for a scene of the Japanese bombing of Ipoh. It was an eight episode series, and the director Bernard Chauly has hopes of editing it into a cinema feature.

9. Joshua Anantham says:

My grandfather used to own a tobacco-products factory and the company had a shop in the block opposite the building in this picture (Connolly Road side). I remember my father mentioning once that there used to be a Chinese coffee shop at the end of our block (where the fritter seller is now located)and it was always full with patrons.

Growing up, I remember also several blocks which used to serve as quarters to Post/Railway employees. There was one right after the overhead bridge. It has been demolished since and is now marked by thick undergrowth. The long railway quarters just next to the cemetery is still there I think. There was another block opposite the cemetery. It caught fire, burnt down, was cleared and the land is now occupied by the expanded primary school (Panglima Kinta).

My family home is along a road adjacent to Birch Gardens. Although we are represented in the state legislative assembly by the Buntong assemblyman, this area is not cosidered to be Buntong.

Correct me if I’m wrong but Buntong begins from after the bridge (Sg Pari) onward. The drive starts getting bumpier reminding you that you’re driving on the foothills of the Keledang Range :)

• Dinesh gokhale says:

Hello Joshua,

I remember the tobacco factory. I am staying infront of dato panglima kinta school. the big green house, green volkswagen. My dad and mum are still there.

Hi Joshua, thanks for the memories. Would you by any chance have access to any fanily photographs that we could share with our readers please? We love to receive scans at resolution of 300 or preferably 600 dpi and they can be sent to me at info@ipohworld.org.

Anything we receive will be credited to you.

11. Goh Kooi says:

Thanks Joshua for the info about the railway quarters just after the overhead bridge. I used to live there till the early sixties.

12. AHLAI says:

Joshua, could you still remember the short row of single-storey wooden terrace houses immediately after the overhead bridge on the road to Buntong. People of Buntong named the place as ‘sup sam karn’ which is cantonese for ’13 lots’.

13. S.Sundralingam says:

Hi Joshua, in the 60s, I use to stay in Birch Gardens, opposite the Malay primary school. I still remember, an Indian man started this tobacoo business in Connolly Road nearby the Ceylonese Association (Cultural Hall). It was known as ” Rasalmuthiar”, does that rings a bell to U? By the way, the streets that’s mention in this site was formally known as ” Chetthi Kampung” meaning …muddy village. I use have my hair cut by the mute barber too. I checked into his shop recently, the youngest mute brother is now running the business. In sign language he noted to me that he will retire soon.

rosebud:

The sports facility with a field was called the Birch Club. It was named for, and officially opened by, Ernest Birch in 1907 when he was British Resident. On a wall inside there used to hang an autographed photo of Birch …

The old Protestant cemetery across the road is still there — or at least, I hope it is. Jack Jennings was buried there, and so, too, was Francis Light — no, not the “founder” of Penang but the last descendant to inherit his last name.

Not far away, off Sungei Pari Road, was the Japanese cemetery; and not far from that was Ipoh’s second rest house, the first one having been torn down when the present railway station was built.

—–

Charlie:

Not quite.

Jelf Road used to run perpendicular to the railway line. Most of it no longer exists as a road.

The road that ran parallel to that part of the railway line was Fryer Road.

Today’s Regat Tun Perak is (1) all of what used to be Fryer Road, plus (2) a small part of what used to be Jelf Road where it intersected Connolly Road, the latter being now Jalan Tun Perak.

—–

Arthur (later Sir Arthur) Jelf was, among many things, Chair of the Kinta Sanitary Board during the First World War. His first wife, Blanche, died shortly after they left Ipoh. Jelf married again and went on to become Colonial Secretary in Jamaica. He lost a son somewhere over the English Channel in the build-up to the Second World War.

William Fryer was resident engineer of the FMS Railways. Among his now-unsung achievements was the construction of the Kinta Valley Railway. He died young in 1909.

Richard Connolly was one of early Ipoh’s medical men. He’s known for his anti-opium campaigning and for his friendship with Ernest Birch. Not generally recalled nowadays is his controversial (and ultimately unsuccessful) attempt to monopolize the business of giving the women in Kinta brothels their fortnightly physical examinations. Later a miner and a planter, Connolly also dabbled in journalism and was an avid gardener: his tomatoes used to win prizes. The road in Ipoh was named for him in 1905; he died in 1943.

Tun Perak was a prominent fifteenth-century Malacca worthy — but, despite his name, I’m not sure what he had to do with Ipoh.