1. homesickforipoh says:

Hi Wendy,
    Ipoh Tutorial became “SMJK Jalan Silibin”” in 1970. It started out as a government lower secondary school and is co-ed. My little brother went there for Forms 1, 2 & 3.
    Later it also accommodated Forms 4 and 5 for the Arts stream.

2. IKA says:

We had a much earlier blog about the Institute and there is a series of three items about it on our database at http://db.ipohworld.org/view/id/6127, but I believe some of the above information is new to us and will be added into the database items.

If anyone out there has more information or photographs please take a few moments on Malaysia Day to let us know,

Dear IKA … I think it’s important to distinguish between (1) any facility or patch of real estate owned or used by the Ipoh Tutorial Institute and (2) the Institute per se.

The Institute itself did not become anything in 1970. In fact, as I recently mentioned to felicia, it was still operating at 43 Station Road. In 1972 it moved out of Station Road and into the Good Luck Building at 19 Brewster Road, where it continued in operation for some years.

What homesickforipoh may be referring to is the following transaction: in 1969, the Institute sold off its Gurdwara Road property to the Ministry of Education, which built a government school there. The purchase price was in the vicinity of a quarter of a million dollars.

3. homesickgoripoh says:

Hi Ian and Ipoh Remembered,

Thanks for sharing so much information which I have no idea.

All I remembered was my brother attending Jalan Silicon School which from the Medan Bus Station, we turn out left and make a u-turn at the roundabout and then
    towards maxwell Road. When on Maxwell, if we turn left, it goes to Bunting.
    If we turn right, that’s SMJK Jalan Silicon and it’s near the Sungai Pari towers.

If we stay on Maxwell road and make no turns we will eventually hit the street
    intersection whereby if we turn right, it will lead to Silicon.

And if we keep going straight on Maxwell Road, it’s the Education Department.

I have no idea where the street name “Gurdwara Road” is as I only remember
    the location as described.

And btw, there was a Malaysian Chinese singer called “Cik Soon Come” who
    attended SMJK Jalan Silicon from 1970 through 1972 and then she transferred
    to MGS in 1973.

I know here well. As a singer, “Cik Soon Come” didn’t last that long unlike other
    singers from Taiwan from the same era.

Thanks for the extra information.

4. homesickgoripoh says:

Hi Ian and Ipoh Remembered,

Thanks for sharing so much information which I have no idea.

towards Maxwell Road. When on Maxwell, if we turn right, it goes to Bunting.
    If we turn left, that’s SMJK Jalan Silicon and it’s near the Sungai Pari towers.

If we stay on Maxwell road and make no turns we will eventually hit the street
    intersection whereby if we turn left, it will lead to Silicon.

And if we keep going straight on Maxwell Road, it’s the Education Department.

I have no idea where the street name “Gurdwara Road” is as I only remember
    the location as described.

And btw, there was a Malaysian Chinese singer called “Cik Soon Come” who
    attended SMJK Jalan Silicon from 1970 through 1972 and then she transferred
    to MGS in 1973.

singers from Taiwan from the same era.

Thanks for the extra information.

Dear homesickforipoh

If we turn left, that’s SMJK Jalan [Silibin] and it’s near the Sungai Pari towers. […] I have no idea where the street name “Gurdwara Road” is as I only remember the location as described.

Yes, the road where you turn left towards the school is (still) called “Jalan Gurdwara,” named after the Sikh temple that was built there a long time ago.

Thanks for all the information about the school and “Cik Soon Come” (I had never heard of her). Do you happen to know where she is these days?