We’ve had quite a few readers on the blog talking about this school, hence today’s blog post. This picture is from Nicholas Jennings’ sister; and according to Nicholas, this building was “one of the two (or more) barrack-like structures” which were used as class rooms for this school. From the descriptions we’ve been given, this school was somewhere along Ashby Road. We could be wrong though. Does anyone remember the EXACT location? Could the barracks still be there…or perhaps, the place is now part of a housing area?

Note: The sign above the door is difficult to read (even on the original 600dpi scan), but we’re guessing it reads as “British Army Children’s School, Ipoh”.

We received the following on our Facebook page from Judith Pashley:

I attended this British Army Children’s School for a year between 1959 and 1960. I lived in Tiger Lane (No.14 – that very delapidated mansion that now looks so sad). To get to school I remember heading along the road past the Lodge, then turning left and eventually driving past the polo grounds (on the right), getting to a road junction on to Tambun Road and then turning left and the school was on the right shortly after that. In those days it was all very rural, but looking on Google Earth it would seem that it was an old Army Barracks which might be around the start of what is now Jalan Hospital. The Headmaster at the time was Mr Collier. His wife taught me at first and the next class after that I was taught by Mrs Avery. We had our sports day on the polo field as there was no playing field at the school. There were 3 school ‘Houses’ and I belonged to Slim. The other two were Bourne and Templar. I really don’t have too many memories (it was 53 years ago!), but I have my school reports and do remember making some very good friends during my year at that school before heading for the UK to continue my education.

Thank you Judith. Does anyone else remember Mr & Mrs Collier and Mrs Avery? We’d love to hear more from the others who attended this school :)

3. Nicholas Jennings says:

The British Army School. Where have all the students gone, long time passing?

It would be great to hear from other IpohWorld visitors like Sean Power, Ruth Rollitt or anyone else who might have memories or insights into the school, its headmaster and teachers.

4. Ann O'Day says:

If it is the Army School, and the picture looks like the image I retain, this was the first school my twin brother and I attended. I would have been 4 or thereabouts (born 1951) and have to admit that I have no memories of the teachers at all but suppose it laid a solid foundation as I performed pretty well in my subsequent education. My really vivid memory is of being able to choose a flavoured milk on one day a week! I seem to recall fridges on the school verandah. I was also very proud that my mother was brought in to teach catechism to catholic cildren at the school. My dad was in the Educaion Corps so attached to various regiments. Following Ipoh, we were posted to Omagh in N Ireland and then to Nakuru, Kenya.

Thank you Ann for your memories. As you will see from the above we are desperately short of history of this school. Do you know of anyone else who attended with you, or does your family have any photos please? the above is the only one we have.

6. Tania Gotzes ( Fairnington) says:

I went to the BAC School Ipoh from 1965-66 and the headmaster at the time was Mr Uff. His wife took the Art class if I remember correctly. The photo certainly brought back memories. I still have a photo of myself in the green and white gingham uniform taken with our amah Ah leen. She was wonderful.

Hello Tania and welcome to ipohWorld. A photo of you in school uniform sounds exactly what we need for our archive. Would it be possible to send us a good scan at say 600dpi please. It can be sent to info@ipohworld.org and you would be credited as the donor.

I do hope you can help as we have so little information about the school. We look forward to hearing from you.

8. Ann O'Day says:

I have just logged in again after almost a year. Our family photos are in England, and I live in France. However, when I visit in a couple of months I will see what photos exist. I do not believe, though, that there is one of the school.

Welcome back Ann. Sounds complicated with France, England and Malaysia, but we in ipohWorld always live in hope. If you come across anything from your time here please do let us have some scans (600dpi would be great) to share with our readers.

Do have a safe trip to England and back and we look forward to hearing from you again.

• Graham Belson says:

I was at Ipoh BACS from about 1954 to 1957, when we moved to Penang and I went to the BACS there before moving on to Alexandra Grammar School in Singapore. My father – Robert W Belson was headmaster at both Ipoh and Penang,
      We are currently in Penang, trying to find the BACS, pre-1960, with no luck, but we did find the bungalow we lived in by the beach at Batu Ferringhi last night.
      When we get home I am certain there will be a load of photographs of our time in Malaya – I will try to find them.
      On Friday 13th we will head to Ipoh to see if some of the places I remember still exist.

• ika says:

Graham Belson, thank you so much for meeting us on ipohWorld.

With all the different things I get up to in Ipoh, it is comments like yours that make my day. We have been looking for details of BACS for years now and found almost nothing. Now we have the name of the headmaster and even the possibility of photographs to add to the one above.
        Please do look out your photos and as no doubt you want to keep the originals, please send us scans at 600dpi if possible to info@ipohworld.org. You will of course be credited as as the donor.

Regarding your visit on Friday, we would be delighted to see you at our latest exhibition in the Hakka Miners’ Club. To let us know you are going to come, please book at http://www.ipohworld.org/reservation. It is in Old Town which I am sure will be in your memory of days gone by.

I hope you can make it as it will be great to see you.

10. Frances Pritchard says:

I attended BACS. in Ipoh from 1965 to 1968. My Dad was in the Middlesex Regiment. I had a wonderful childhood there….swimming in the Kinta, catching butterflies, raiding rambutans from neighbour’s trees, red envelopes at Chinese New Year, judo lessons, colour TV….wonderful! I will return one day.

11. jasemin sibo says:

Much thanks to the British pioneers for helping to develop Ipoh in the past to what it is today. I believe I am a better person from getting direct influence from the British education system, Girl Guide movement and British arts and culture immersion initiatives. My high school years and subsequent pursue of A-Levels have provided me with a solid academic foundation. I hope that we have arrived at a stage where we can call each other equal counterparts now. This would be the mark of true liberalization.

12. christine says:

I attended school in Ipoh in the sixties. Mr Uff was the headmaster and my class teacher. I have vivid memories of him vaulting through the window running up the grassy bank to answer the telephone in his office. He also used to get into his white sunbeam rhe same way. I remember him teaching us to play chess, and teaching us art. I particularly remember being taught how to colout wash a paper in blue then add a silhoette of a palm tree, basha type hut on stilts. I could still do it now! My father was part of the british team of officers and NCOs setting up the 1st and 2nd battalion Malaysian Rangers in readiness for independence. During this tour I went to school in Penang, Ipoh and Sugei Patani Happy days!

• Tania Gotzes says:

Christine, looks like we were there at the same time. Where did you live in Ipoh? I remember painting the same picture with Mr Uff. When my dad had to go on detachment my mum fell seriously ill and Mr Uff took me home to live with his family and our amah looked after my little brother Pete. I remember going to Indian dancing class with his daughter Nicola, and we used to scare their amah silly when we dressed as ghosts! I have so many happy memories of Ipoh, the swimming club, riding around in a tri-shaw, catching guppies in the monsoon drains, the cold storage milk-shakes, etc. etc.

13. Jackie Crawley says:

I attended BACS Ipoh in 1965-1966. I remember Mr Uff, he did a stamped picture of a palm tree in my autograph book, which I am afraid I no longer have. I remember some of the lady teachers having a holiday club at their home. I also remember having a bottle of flavoured milk everyday. We only attended in the morning and spent most afternoons at the swimming club. I remember the green and white gingham dress we wore. I have happy memories of my time there, though I was too young to really appreciate it.

14. Ngai C. O. says:

I vaguely remember the school was probably situated near the Sikh Temple which is on the hill at Ashby Road and next to the NAAFI, a field with an army cinema next to it.

I also remember the Hussars and Dragoons were stationed at the Ashby Road Army Camp with their armoured cars.

The Australian and New Zealand contingents were camped near the south side of the Perak Stadium and along one of the roads leading to Canning Gardens.

• Ngai C. O. says:

Hi Chuah,

You are right with regards to the abbreviation.

However, there is much more to the ‘Headquarters Royal Artillery’ in practice from the scant understanding I have.

For example, the Royal Artillery with its batteries of guns may form part of an infantry regiment to provide long range bombardment to soften the target before the infantry moves in.

Really, someone with army experience is the best person to describe in more detail.

15. Jan Evans says:

Hi, I attended BAC from 1960 – 1963. Many happy memories and a good education too. I remember the flavoured milk, rounders and hopscotch! When I started the headmaster was called Donald Jack, a rather fierce Scot with exacting standards if I remember rightly. Mr Avery taught us singing and I believe my class teacher was a Mrs Miller. I’ve still got some of my old school reports with the palm tree letter heading – happy days……

16. Andy Sawyer says:

I attended this school between 1957 and 1959 — I came across this site by accident when I was googling to try and fix the location of it for something I am writing. The picture looks very familiar. I lived in Cane Crescent, if anyone can tell me where that was — a couple of years ago I made a significant attempt to track it down on google earth, but failed. I had happy memories of the school — I would love to find out the name of the teacher who read the story of the Trojan Horse to us and turned me into a reader and writer, and I have happy memories of living in Ipoh.

• felicia says:

Welcome to our blog, Andy :)
      Hmm….I’m not sure where Cane Crescent was, since many road names and places in Ipoh have Malay names now. Were there any prominent landmarks in the area which you can recall? That would give us a clue to locate this place.

We’d also like to pose this question to our other readers: Does anyone remember a place called Cane Crescent?

I did have maps of Ipoh in my younger days but they seemed to have vanished when I moved away over 36 years ago.

Who would have thought about the mass change of names in such a short period of time.

After all these very same names were repeated many times all over the country or worse still in the same state as if one or two or three was not enough.

It defies logic and shows a lack of creativity or imagination.

Along with these changes were the rapid transformation of the landscape for better or worse.

Perhaps Ipoh Library might still have copies of them.

Would be worth getting copies of them if they are still available before they too disappear from this planet knowing how short-sighted the powers that be are.

• Andy Sawyer says:

Thanks for your reply, Felicia! I’m sorting through scans of photos that I and my sister have, and have come across a pretty good photo of the location, with a striking conical hill behind one of the bungalows. Unfortunately my memory fails me when I think about things like how far it was from town and other things that may identify it. I’m quite happy to post it to the blog (if possible, and if people are interested). Most of my photos are family, but I have a couple of a parade at the camp dated boxing day 1957. Nothing, unfortunately, of the school. I’m still looking to see if I have school reports . . .

• Andy Sawyer says:

Thanks, Felicia!
            I have scans of most of my photos and will sort them out. I’m not sure which actual photos are in my possession and which are with my sister. It’ll take a couple of weeks — I’ll be away from my computer most of this week, but I’ll also be looking at and scanning my school reports from BACS Ipoh (which I discovered after my last post: I thought I had lost them), which have signatures from my class teachers and the school head (including Graham Belsen’s father as noted above). I’ll note them down when I’m next working on this, and post to the blog when I’ve done it. I hope that might fill in some pieces in the jigsaw!

Andy

This school escaped me. Along this road, I could only remember the NAAFI store, a movie Theatre ( need not go through Film Negara ) & a barrack where we named it Roti House as it was shaped like a round sandwich bread. We could see soldiers marching & at one time. as I kid, I saluted the soldiers where I was quickly stopped by my dad. Was it an offence ?

18. Andy Sawyer says:

Hi, I’ve just sent some photos — as I said in the accompanying email they were taken at “Cane Crescent” showing distinctive hills in the background, so they might be a clue. Also, there’s a photo of a parade which might be of interest.

I’ve also gone through my school reports for relevant info about the British Army Children’s School, and have pasted in my notes here. According to my first report (Summer term 1957) the Head was R. W. Belsen and my class teacher was JK Wilkinson. “He tries hard and is interested in all class activities” was her verdict. The next report (Autumn Term, 1957) gave the head as B. Anderson (acting). In writing, I was “now capable of constructing simple sentences”. (Some would say I need to get back to that.) By the Easter term 1958 “Andrew can write several sentences of his own composition” but fortunately those deathless works of prose have not survived. My class teacher then was Lorna Bathurst, and the Head was H (or N). B. Collier (who I can’t picture, but reading the name, while I certainly would not have remembered it “cold” gave a nudge of familiarity as I read it), as did that of my teacher in Summer term 1958, M. Avery. She was my first fan, possibly – “Andrew writes interesting short stories” (that hasn’t been said for a long time!). By Autumn Term 1958, Constance Collier (possibly the Head’s wife? Again, I can almost picture her, and the name is very familiar) had me sussed: “Rather inclined to day-dream”. By Spring Term 1959, she gave me a good report but noted that I sometimes had to be reproved for having my nose in a book (the first of many such reproofs, I fear!) That term, I notice, I was only there for 45 days out of 60 – perhaps that was the time I had chicken pox and/or mumps.
    The report for Summer Term 1959 was as previously signed by both the Colliers. Various “Excellents”, but in my story work “must avoid slang”. However, “makes determined efforts to learn anything new”. I was back with Miss Avery (Mr Collier was still Head) for the next term, when I went up to Junior Department. That was my final term, and I seem to have been set for life – lots of “Very Goods” for English, but Writing “Untidy. Much practice needed.” “A wealth of knowledge” for Geography/Nature Study (for which I suspect read “Sticks up his hand at every opportunity and recites what he has learned from the encyclopaedia”), and a diplomatic “Fairly Good” for Physical Education.

Hope this is useful and interesting and I’d be interested if these names spark off flickers of memory in other people’s minds.

Andy

19. Jani Rashid says:

I’m planning a road trip from Singapore to Ipoh where we lived for a short while before emigrating to Bradford, West Yorkshire, England. My father had a tailor shop which I believe was near a British Army Barracks. Officers used to come in to have repairs done to their uniform and were in quite frequently. I was 5 years old at the time and the officers used to help me learn English in my dads shop reading Janet and John books! My brother went to a school nearby, he will have been 7/8 years old.

We lived in Kampong Simee but I remember we had to drive to his shop and my brothers school.

Does anyone know the name of the Army Barracks or primary schools nearby?

Thanks/terima kasih,
    Jani

• Ian says:

Jani, I loved in Ipoh from 1962-1964 and my father was in the British Army. In regard to a tailor’s shop, I have a pretty clear memory (I would have been 9 at the time) that my father visited a tailor to have some civilian suits made, and the tailor’s shop was actually right in the front of the army camp, more or less part of it. I seem to remember a number of people working on treadle sewing machines in the shop. Anyway, your memory of a tailors shop near the army barracks sounds consistent with my memory also.

Hi Rani,

I know the exact location of your father’s shop, nestled with others. I cannot recall what the others did. A Dhoby line (open air laundry, where Indians did the washing for the British Army) was situated to the left of the buildings.

The landscape has changed considerably over the years.

Across the road to the shops was the Army Cinema and a field, where the soldiers played games. Next to the cinema was the NAAFI.

As a kid, I often used to hang around the area because I was quite fascinated by the army goings-on. I especially liked to watch the punishment the Military Police meted out to offenders like making them stand in the midday sun until they collapsed.

Please find below the Instant Street View link to your father’s shop, which should be one of the row of three buildings with their pink asbestos roofs.

I hope the information is helpful although I waded into something else as well.

Hi Rani,

Unfortunately, the link picture went pear shaped and was not of much use although it showed part of the buildings.

I would now describe it so that you can pin point the location.

Instant Google Street View.
        Junction between Jalan Lee Kwee Foh and Jalan Hospital.
        Turn right at the junction into Jalan Hospital.
        You would see a huge road sign on your left just about a hundred meters away.
        To the left of it are three single storey buildings with pink asbestos roofs, one behind the other.
        These used to be the shops.

• Jani Rashid says:

Dear Ngai, many thanks for your very helpful response. It’s a pity about the link, is there another way of reproducing it?

Are you still living in Ipoh? We will plan to visit in March 2017, not sure of exact dates yet.

Jani

Hi Jani,

My apologies for spelling your name wrong.

I was born and bred in Ipoh and lived in Canning Gardens from 1965 to 1980.

The Ashby Road Army Camp is just next door to Canning just like Kg. Simee.

No, I don’t live in Ipoh but return regularly as my mother and sisters still live there.

As you are planning to visit in 2017, there is still plenty of time. I would try to find a easier way to pin point the location.

Other readers may in the meantime come up with something.

Keep watching this space for updates.

Alternatively, drop felicia of IpohWorld a line. She may probably be the best placed person on location to assist you.

• Jani Rashid says:

Hi Ngai,

don’t worry its only a name! We left in 1961 but a Chinese lady continued to run the tailors shop for some years after.

I’m in touch with Felicia who has been very helpful and yes, I will be a regular visitor on this website!

Hi Ngai CO,
    Sorry your map link could not be accessed.
    When I left the Kinta Valley in 1970, I remember about the barracks in Jalan Hospital but not the row of houses you mentioned.
    The nearest were the one in Lorong Cecil Rae Canning Garden.
    Were these the one which Jani described as having the tailor shop ?
    The Corner shop was Kedai Makanan Canning Garden.
    Used to have nice food there & ages since I went there last.

Hi Felicia,
    Andy Sawyer has send some pictures on BAC School.
    Any way of you sharing this pictures as a search in the data base bears only one picture of the school.
    Is this school still there or already torn down ?

• felicia says:

Hi SK,

This is probably the only picture of the BAC School that we have. Andy’s photos were mostly parts of his housing area and the surroundings, since he was wondering if Cane Crescent still exists. I must confess that I still don’t know where in Ipoh Cane Crescent used to be….

• sk says:

Thanks, Felicia for your response.
        Ipoh Cane Crescent.
        Could he meant Canning Garden Crescent, if there such a road
        as I am not from Canning Garden.
        How about Canning Garden Folks?
        Lend me your Ears.

22. rosebud says:

I am intrigued by the 2 women workers in the photo. Could they be Samsui women? As the photo is in black & white I cant make out the colour of their head cloth covers. These hardy women workers who normally work in construction were common on Spore till the late 80s when they faded away from scene due to old age & lack of new recruits. Some wore red & some in dark blue head cloths depending from which district they came from in China. I distinctly remember seeing some working in Ipoh construction sites as child. Anyone knows more about these women in Ipoh?

Hi rosebud,

I had to search Wiki. for information about Samsui women.

I am not sure whether the women who wore the headgear were Samsui.

What I do know is that most of the body and face was covered up to protect themselves from the intense heat of the scorching sun. These women did the right thing because their skin did not suffer sun burn nor sun tan. Hence, they retained their fair complexion, which was really sought after.

When they removed their gear including their gloves, one would not really notice that they did hard manual labour.

It was a common sight up to the eighties to see these women work on construction sites, in tin mines, growing vegetables and other manual labour. They played a crucial role in building the houses we lived in.

I believe they gradually died out because the younger generations were better educated and sought higher paid jobs. Others worked in factories instead of the harsh outdoor environment.

Nowadays, you would hardly find them working in factories too as they climb the social ladder.

Such low paid manual labour has been replaced by workers from neighboring countries.

I was always inquisitive about soldiers having been born just after the 2nd world war and watched numerous war films.

So, aged about twelve or thereabout, I often cycled to the army camps at Ashby Road to see the real stuff.

I was especially interested about the Australian and Kiwi soldiers because they were infantry units as compared to the amoured corps at Ashby Road.

When I noticed their camps empty, I knew they had either gone for training or missions of some form.

I would regularly visit to find out whether they had returned.

On a few occasions when the camps became full again, some soldiers had bandages on their hands, legs, foreheads and even arm slings. I often wondered how these were caused – cuts, falls, etc or a combination during exchanges of fire with the insurgents.

I would also check with the newspapers like Straits Times for reports of fighting to correspond with their absences from camp. Of course I never found out.

The British soldiers would descend to town on their nights off – places like Jublee Park for drinks and dances with the ‘guests’.

The Military Police with their armbands MP would travel in their Land Rovers to round up the rowdy soldiers.

Noticeable punishment could be cleaning the drains , standing in the midday sun.

Very similar to what we watched in films.

25. Marie says:

Hello,
    I went to the BAC school in Ipoh in 1952 to 1953. We were living at the Majestic Hotel, Ipoh, which was being used by the British Army as married quarters. At the school, I remember that the toilets were on the veranda and the toilet bucket was emptied every day.

I would like to touch on the bucket toilets that were emptied daily by a dedicated team of night soil carriers.

I was using the squat and flush type when living along Kampar Road. It emptied into a large underground septic tank and when full, a Public Works Dept. tanker would pump the effluent and take it away.

We had to move into Pasir Pinji New Village for a period. We had to use the wooden public toilets scattered behind houses. Underneath the hole over which we squatted was a rubber tub to collect our waste. At night, we had to use candles or kerosene lamps. We also had potties for emergency.

The rubber tubs were the same as those for carrying tin ore from the palongs back to the tin dressing plant.

For people living near the public toilets, they had to endure the stench.

Later one was built the the back of our house. We did not have to walk far to use the loo. Nor did we have to share with many other people. We endured it for a good six years before we moved to a new housing development, where we had the modern loo (not the squat although it is actually nature’s way).

The bucket type loos were very common in Ipoh Town right up to the early 70′s. The back of shops along the back lanes had openinigs so that the night soil carriers could remove and replace buckets.

Most of the workers were Indians.

The Ipoh Town Council under the Peoples’s Progressive Party modernised the sewage system in Ipoh and did away with night soil carriers.

Back at Pasir Pinji Village, farmers would steal the waste before dawn to fertilise their crops. We would often be awaken by the barking of dogs between four to five am.

I have seen a few photos of night soil activities in Singapore including one showing the hole and bucket with its contents.

Readers can google for themselves if they are curious about it.

Most of the Singapore night soil carriers were Chinese.

Aiyah, Ngai CO – What a subject when I am having my morning black coffee & Yow Char Keuh ( croissant ) for breakfast. Anyway, I have a fair share of it in New Pasir Puteh. It was a Chinese man who cleaned the bucket & at times, he would pulled away when we were during our business. Cleaning the bucket ? No problem. Our house was just next to a river.

Hi sk,

I am sorry I did not realise you were enjoying your ‘yam cha’. I thought you might be reading your papers rather than on the net!!!

I sort of knew there would be some reactions from the ‘pantang’ lot. But I could not resist this write up to stir up the day

It was a good job I did not upload the pictures that I mentioned; who knows, I might be shot down in flames.

No problem, Ngai CO. Hardly read newspaper as now depending on Net. In years to come, you wont be holding a newspaper. All digitalised.

For those keeping track of which British regiments were based at Ashby Road, and when, I can add that the 6th Gurkha Rifles were there (1st Battalion from ’53 to ’57, 2nd Battalion from ’57 to ’60). This was all during the (so-called) Emergency.

Judith Pashley:

I think it was 14 Tiger Lane that Tenby School occupied not long after you left.

30. Ian says:

I attended BACS Ipoh from around October 1962 to October 1964. My father was with the Queens Royal Irish Hussars. We lived in Canning Gardens, first at No. 1 Cecil Rae Avenue (now Lebuh Cecil Rae), and then in Jalan Lee Kwee Foh, opposite the park area which is to the east of the shophouses with several restaurants, I think it may have been house No. 57.

I don’t seem to have any photos of the school itself, but I have a number of scans taken from slides… not the best quality so far though I am hoping to improve on these. These slides may be viewed in a Google Drive folder at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7pnSeW-_QgxaU5idV9sRVFlSUk During my time there, in the Junior School, the Head Teacher (headmaster) was Mr Lawson, and my class teachers were Mr Pugh and Mr Holley (the surnames are correct, and I believe the gender of both teachers was male).

I am struggling to identify the location of the school on Google Maps, and no doubt it is long gone. I recall that the school bus used to take us in a westerly direction along Jalan Lee Kwee Foh and I think over a hill at the western end, likely in what is now Jalan Hospital and I think past the army barracks… I recall a left turn somewhere after that, so I am thinking perhaps someplace in the vicinity of the Tower Regency, but I could be well wide of the mark.

I believe that in time I will track down more photos, perhaps even at the school itself, as I have a lot of materials to sort through having recently retired from full time work. I look forward to trawling more of this fascinating site, and thanks for all the contributions before mine!

• felicia says:

Hello Ian. Thank you so much for sharing your photos with us. Currently, we only have this one photo (on this blog entry). Thank you also for some of the names of the teachers.
      Would it be alright if we put these photos on our ipohWorld database?

• Ian says:

Hi Felicia

Thank you for your prompt approval of my first posts here, it’s great to have a link back to Ipoh after so many… decades. I have to say that my two years in Ipoh in the 1960s remains one of the happiest memories of my childhood, and certainly also opened me to a lifelong fascination with Asian culture, history and so much more.

I have changed the permissions on that photo album on Google Drive to permit anyone to download. If they are to end up in your archive, they will be accessible to all anyway. And I would love to see anyone post here who identifies themselves or anyone else in any of those photos. I am hopeful that I may have more to add in future too.

Thank you once again!

Ian

• felicia says:

Thank you again for the photos, Ian.
          We shall put a couple up on the blog…perhaps some of your former school mates might have something to say.

• Ian Sheldrick says:

Thanks Felicia! I don’t have any contact with anyone from those days, and honestly don’t remember any names even, sadly. But yes, maybe someone will even recognize themselves in one of the photos. I have added my family name now which you are welcome to use in atttribution; you can also put my email address someplace if that is relevant, if you would please replace @ with (at) so that it doesn’t get trawled for spam :) Thank you again for all your work here!

31. Chris says:

I attended this school in 1960-1961. My father was serving with the NZ Army then and his family went with him. My only memories are of being taken to school early in the morning by rickshaw with some other kids. Also wearing shorts and a white shirt. I’m hoping to make it back to Ipoh this year for the first time since I was 5 years old. Feels like I am planning a trip home.