blog75

Yes, we’ve featured calendars with pretty women before. No, we’re not selling this particular calendar. What we’d like to know is: have any of you seen this calendar, which was printed for G.E.C.? If so, do you recognise the famous face gracing the month of July?

Hi

My instinct tells me without a further search that she was Marlene Dietrich.

No, I have not seen the calendar. I was more familiar with the local calendars with horses or Chinese actresses. Being 1956, I was too young to take any notice or remember.

Hello Ngai. Thank you for the name!
    Perhaps once we’ve uploaded this calendar on our database, you could help us identify the other pretty ladies too?

Hi felicia,

Why some might be familiar was as a kid, my neighbour had loads of magazines of Hollywood stars of the era, i.e. 50s. I used to flick through them all the time to admire their beauty and male handsomeness like Kirk Douglas.

I shall definitely give it a shot at naming them.

I’m not sure it’s Dietrich. I don’t mean to be ungallant but in 1956 she would already have been in her mid-50s. If we knew when the photograph was taken, it might help, but I guess this information is not available. Perhaps one might be able to figure out a range of plausible dates by looking at the other photographs included in the calendar.

Incidentally, I have a print of a famous photograph taken of her in 1952 and in it she already looks a bit older than the lady shown above.

• Shen Ooi says:

Here’ my 2 pence worth…

Jan – Audrey Hepburn
      Apr – Claire Bloom
      Jun – Virginia McKenna
      Nov – Siobhan McKenna
      Dec – Jean Peters

Dear Shen Ooi … Thanks for the list. I am sure you’re right about Audrey Hepburn and Claire Bloom. You may be right about the others as well, but have you considered Merle Oberon and Deborah Kerr?

• felicia says:

Ipoh Remembered,
          Now that you’ve mentioned Deborah Kerr, I find myself going through the calendar again 🙂
          However, in my mind the only visual I have of Deborah Kerr (for comparison) is of her in an elaborate gown while she danced with Yul Brynner (in King & I).