Dear felicia

With all due respect to Padang Rengas, few people ever went there!

The coach ferried people between Taiping and Kuala Kangsar via Padang Rengas. Cars, when they first came to Perak, also used the same road.

A few years later after cars arrived, the railway was completed — by Charlie Spooner, who, a few more years later, died.

Well, it’s possible I should have shown more respect to Padang Rengas!

What I meant to say is that in those days it was really just a village, population roughly 300; while Kuala Kangsar, for example, had a population about four times larger.

In abject penitence, I’ve sent you by e-mail a short note about the topography of the area, written by FMS geologist John Scrivenor; as well as some disjointed comments of my own about the year 1903 — which is the year in which the railway connection through Padang Rangas was finally completed.

Recall that the automobile arrived in Perak circa 1901-02, so it had already begun to replace the gharry before the train was able to do so.

As for the death of Charlie Spooner, mentioned above: that was in 1909.

2. Mano says:

Looking at the limestone hills and especially the note in red ‘No.5. Travelling natives. Padang Rengas, Perak’, the photo was taken at Padang Rengas. It was not meant to imply that that was the destination.

You may be right about where the photograph was taken, Mano. Whereas my comment was in response to this line: “This coach was said to have ferried passengers between Taiping and Padang Rengas before the completion of the railway.”

In any event, are you familiar with the Padang Rengas area? Any tales of the road?

3. Mano says:

Yes, Ipoh Remembered, I totally agree with you. In fact when I first read the caption, I was a little bewildered as to how and why was Padang Rengas the destination.
    I’m afraid, my knowledge of Padang Rengas is restricted to being, in my opinion, the best stretch of road in the North-South highway. Especially in an MG Midget or an Alpha at sunrise.

Another thing, felicia … The title of the post notwithstanding, the vehicle shown in the photograph is not what one used to call a gharry: in Perak, the term was used for a two-wheeled vehicle.