blog_wed29thAug

The photographs above was taken on the opening of the Fatimah hospital which was officiated by the Late Sultan of Perak, DYMM Sultan Idris Shah on the 6th of December 1974. Were you there on the day of the opening of the hospital? Do you recognize anyone from the photographs?

One Nun was also busy taking picture. Are they still in Fatimah Hospital or are Nuns still working there ? Hardly see one nowadays. If there is any, they be wearing light blue instead of white. That was the last time I saw them in Assunta Hospital and they are locals.

Dear Christopher

Yes, the hospital was opened in 1974 but these photographs were taken in 1969: the Sultan was there for the official laying of the foundation stone. (There is a reference to this 1969 ceremony in database item 8917.)

In the photograph on the right is Monsignor Gregory Yong, at the time the fairly new Bishop of Penang.

In the photograph on the left, on the left edge is a person in a dark suit. My eyesight is not good enough to be sure who it is, but I think it’s either towkay Chong Kok Lim or Ipoh High Court Justice Chang Min Tat. Both of them were on the hospital building fund committee. I can’t remember whether Kok Lim attended the event but I am certain that Min Tat did.

Incidentally, both Min Tat and Gregory were alumni of Ipoh’s St. Michael’s Institution. Min Tat was born in Ipoh whereas Gregory was a Taiping boy. They both died about ten years ago, the former as a retired judge of the Federal Court and the latter as Archbishop Emeritus of the Archdiocese of Singapore.

Also in the photograph on the left, the priest you see wearing glasses was Brother James, who led the drive to establish the hospital. He came from Germany and lived in Malaysia for decades, eventually converting to Islam. He, too, died about ten years ago. His last words were “Selamat tinggal.”

Dear Christopher … On second thought, I believe you may be right about which ceremony is depicted above. It may well be the official opening in 1974.

(As for the identifications provided above, I think they’re OK.)

4. S.Y. says:

Dear Ipoh Remembered,
    The gentleman in the dark suit is neither Chong Kok Lim nor Chang Min Tat. He doesn’t look like either of them and I have met both.

5. S.Y. says:

Dear Ipoh Remembered,
    It is not a matter of better eye sight. I had to face him for two years or so and he was not one to mince his words. To his credit, he spoke perfect English – I was told he graduated from Cambridge. A number of years later, he came to Ipoh for the hearing of cases in the Supreme Court which went on circuit and this was his last hearing as he retired after that. I met him and he is one of the few who could remember my name in full.

Dear S.Y. … Yes, he was a stickler!

Speaking of which … he was not at Cambridge but at Oxford.

This was after he finished up at Raffles College and before he qualified in the law at the Inner Temple in London.

Incidentally, Raffles College, in Bukit Timah, later became the University of Malaya and is now the National University of Singapore.