Sorry, felicia, it’s an interesting shot and the building in the foreground is vaguely familiar but the photograph is so small that I can’t make out any of the details.

And about the photographs shown in your previous post, “Let the music play … sk remarks that the building is unfamiliar. It’s not familiar to me as well: I don’t recall seeing such a façade in Ipoh. And as for “South East Asia Trading”: it was a company that appeared after the war, I think, but I don’t recall a branch in Ipoh, either. From the little I know of the firm, and from what I can see of the people in the photograph, I’d be willing to guess that the photograph was taken in the late ’40s or ’50s — but I assume your donor can be more precise than that.

Finally, in a comment on the post entitled “Eel Soup” I see that Abdul Gaffor has offered to help create a good record of Ali Pitchay’s works and presence in Ipoh. Thank you, Abdul Gaffor! Your grandfather was a most interesting and enterprising person. I’m glad you are able to help us all remember him as he deserves to be remembered.

Hi Ipoh Remembered. Even at high resolution, we can’t really make out the building in the foreground.

As for Abdul Gaffor’s message, we’ve contacted him. Hopefully we get some information about Ali Pitchay :)

Am excited to hear that you are in touch with Abdul Gaffor! If he provides primary documents, I may be able to add a few secondary comments.

Building also doesnt look familiar. but can see a lot of birds on the right of road, a lady carrying a baby or goods on the right, a policeman standing on a raised platform in the middle with a shade above his head, 2 trucks ( cant make out the models ) at the end of road, a trishaw on the left on a railway tracks?

Dear sk … I suspect the “lot of birds on the right” and the “railway tracks” on the right are both actually part of ipohWorld‘s fancy new skewed watermark! They’re not really part of the original image.

I could, however, be wrong. My eyesight is definitely not better than yours!

Ha3 – Ipoh Remembered – You could be right. Looks like dots.
    Overhanging the telephone lines, it looks like birds but looks like a banner. I remember the birds perching around the electrical lines in front of Capitol cinema. & we have to avoid the bombs from the birds.
    There were also “lok Lok stall under the lines. I dont know why the birds chose this particular area. Are the birds still perching there today ?

Hi sk,

Good question on birds perching on power lines at night.

Click on Barn Swallows in Far East to find some clues although you won’t find the probable reasons.

We used to take many things for granted.

Dear Ngai C O

Well said.

Yes, we human beings used to, and still do, and always will, take many things for granted.

Somewhere I have an old photograph of those birds in Ipoh. If I find it I will have it scanned and sent to felicia.

But are you quite sure there were swallows? I don’t recall seeing any red feathers.

Hi Ipoh Remembered and sk

Google Swift Bird Facts I Apus Apus – RSPB.

It will confirm which is which by their behavioural habits.

That’s an interesting web-site, thanks. Here is one that discusses Malaysian birds in particular:

Thinking more about the birds from long ago, I remember that in Malay the word used was layang-layang — but it covered several species, including swifts and swallows.

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

I could not catch the other bits of the link to the information.

Here is a Malaysian bird watcher’s write up about swallows. Pictures and write-up of four species of Swallow – Malaysian Birds.

The other Ipoh World contributer who can tell us more is Chuah T C.

Sorry if the link was unclear. It was the same site you just referred to (“Pictures and write-up of four species of Swallow – Malaysian Birds”).