HPNo, I didn’t make that up! Apparently (as stated in good ‘ol Wikipedia), the ‘HP’ in this popular brand actually stands for Houses of Parliament! Just a show of hands – how many of you knew this little trivia? :)

I have used it ocassionally though I have not touched it for a number of years.

The sauce is in some ways like Marmite; you either like or hate it. I am not a fan of both.

The current picture on the label explicitely shows the Big Ben with the parliament in the background without the words Houses of Parliament.

It is probably fitting that it is left out with the scandals that have plagued parliament over the years.

Having said that, in comparison, it is still one of the greatest institutions of parliamentary democracy in the world.

2. NCK says:

I don’t recall seeing any HP sauce on the shelf on this part of the world, but I probably have tried Lea & Perrins’s Worcestershire sauce once and found no fancy in it. I guess I used the sauce the wrong way by going with Chinese food, or I really don’t have a Western palate.

However, I do like hot English mustard for its resemblance to wasabi in taste. Regrettably, not all supermarkets have this mustard. All the other mustards taste sour because of vinegar in them and that’s not my cup of tea.

I prefer to taste food in its original flavour when the food is good. The sweetened, bottled chilly sauce or tomato sauce found in every eating outlet becomes my saviour when bad luck (or rather cook) gives me swill. Of course I don’t get swill in Ipoh. This happens in other cities.

Hi NCK,

Having to do my own cooking, I do know a thing or two about these stuff you mentioned.

HP Sauce is usually used as a condiment although I am sure some people would have also used it for cooking. Worsetershire sauce on the other hand is normally used for cooking like adding flavours to stews.

Mustard, wasabi and horse radish come from the same family of plants, namely mustard. Mustard seeds are used to produce the stuff whereas in the case of wasabi and horse radish, the roots are used.

Hence, the three items do impart a very similar flavor and taste.

A common vegetable in the same family that we use for cooking called, ‘Kai Choy’, also produces but a very mild mustardy flavor.

I grow this veg. In my allotment. That’s why I am rather more informed.

Another variety of mustard is grown as green manure to suppress weeds, improve the soil structure, to take up nutrients in the soil that would otherwise be leached away. When ready, the plants would be dug into the soil as organic matter.

Incidentally, the plants belong to the brassica family and are cousins to the cabbage for example.

3. NCK says:

Hi, Ngai CO. That’s some interesting info about mustard and gardening. I bet you can cook up a storm with your green thumb. I might try the Worcestershire sauce again, and this time use it the right way as a cooking sauce rather than a condiment, probably on a steak or a chop (quick and easy with a frying pan).

Hi NCK,

I make many mistakes in food preparation. I am bold in experimenting.

So I have some basic ideas what works or not. For me there is no such thing as a storm. Put it this way, my food preparation is okaish although a bit on the salty side at times.

I am no food buff but because I have to eat, why not break out of the box.

Below is link to some recipes to Worcester Sauce.

5. Mano says:

HP sauce, Worcestershire sauce, I think they’re all copies or the British version of the Chinese soy sauce. Just like how the noodles became spaghetti in Italy.

• NCK says:

I don’t know about HP sauce, but Worcestershire sauce is quite different from soy sauce in all aspects except colour, where there is some likeness. Perhaps it is the British version of curry. I remember seeing a faint shade of red (or orange) colour in the sauce when I tried it.

Ngai C O:

Below is link to some recipes to Worcester Sauce.

In the old days one was even encouraged to drink the stuff with tonic water or soda water — as a “pick-me-up.”