To be honest, ika, I fully expect felicia to say that she’d already tried calling them, and that either they did not answer the phone or they could not answer her questions. I guess it would help to know (or somehow reach) the proprietor herself, rather than an employee selected at random who happens to answer the phone.

• felicia says:

Hi Ipoh Remembered,
      thank you for the phone number. I’ve called the kindegarten and was told to email the Principal for any inquiries. I do hope I get a reply soon – then I shall let you and the other Readers know more.

Thanks, felicia.

The only other things I know about the kindergarten are its location and that its work is religiously inspired.

I’m glad you were able to get in touch with someone in charge.

• felicia says:

Hi Ipoh Remembered. I managed to interview the Principal of Mariaville this morning. We shall be putting up the history of the place soon.

Glad to hear it!

Thanks.

(I’m also curious to know what questions, if any, the Principal asked about ipohWorld.)

Whereas with regard to Rowley kindergarten, I can tell you a bit more, as requested.

The Principal, Mrs. Rowley, was a teacher from New Zealand. She came to Ipoh in the early ’50s from Dunedin. In Ipoh she was a member of the Turf Club Sports Club, where one could often see her engaged in a game of badminton. She may well have been a good teacher of little children; she was herself a mother of three; her husband was a miner.

As for the premises: The kindergarten operated in a house on Tambun Road that once belonged to Dr. Chong Tak Nam. The building no longer exists. On the site now is a school gymnasium. (The school itself is across the road; I am told there’s an overhead bridge the students use.)

Aside: If there is information about Dr. Chong Tak Nam in the database, please let me know. I looked but could not find any.