My name is Mohammed Salleh, age 39, married with three children. I am one of the many hawkers in town selling ‘chendol’ for the past 22 years. You can find me daily at the Magistrate Court compound in the morning; around Railway Station at one o’clock; and at Hale Street (opposite Town Padang) from 3 pm. I finish work at about 5pm.

He used to be one of the many hawkers who served locals (and probably foreigners too!) back in the 70s. Anyone tried his famous ‘chendol’?

1. Katherine Wong says:

My favourite chendol man. I used to patronise him when I was working in Town Council Ipoh in old town. Along Hale Street there were a lot of hawkers food. Yes the chendol was one of our favourite drinks. It is a green ingredient mixed with gula malacca (coconut sugar) and coconut milk. Just delicious and cooling to take especially during the hot days. There was the prawn mee too. Just aromatic, tasty and spicy. Yong Tow Foo mixed with chili sauce and sweet and sour sauce. The rojak (a mixture of fruits with prawn paste and chili) thinking about the old days hawkers’ food makes my mouth water. Not forgetting the laksa. White and soft noodles mixed with spicy hot and sour fish soup Those food were simply an enjoyment to the palate and a satisfaction to your stomach. It was also cheap. There was once a spider man who sold fried noodles in his tricycle. He got his nickname from the way he fried the noodles. There are a lot more foods that are worthwhile mentioning and I have forgotten. Maybe some peer of mine reading this article can add to it. Sometimes I wish that I could travel back in time and enjoy those foods again. Alas they are gone or scattered all over. Some hawkers retired due to old age, some passed away and the next of kin never could replace them in the culinary cooking.

2. ipohgal says:

I still remember back in my kiddy days, we used to buy a ball of grated ice ladled with gula melaka and rose syrup all over it. We also had a small ice tube in long plastic bag that came in many flavours such as sour plums, cincau, cendol or lime. These treats just costs a few cents each and we had a good time suckling at them under the hot sun….and you could only get them at the neighbourhood provision shop.

3. Allan says:

I don’t remember the chendol man, but I remember the yong tou foo man near the big bank (OCBC?) and the padang. After finishing tou foo, I’d pour away the sauce and ask for a ladle of soup. Spiderman was a bit of a hype. I think. He used to be around Fair Park and Anderson Road area – I remember my older cousins would drive around the area looking for Spiderman as he’s on a tricycle and could be anywhere. Finally I managed to have a taste of spiderman, but wasnt too impressed with him. Yes the best rojak was the man beside the Sun cinema – he would always brag that the Sultan would always have his rojak if he’s in Ipoh. Pretty expensive in those days – I remember he would not sell me 10 cents of rojak – minimum 30 cents. (char kueh teow was 30 cents then).
    Felicia – not ice tubes -ice balls (slightly bigger than a tennis ball) 5 cents each and we could break them in half and share with a friend

4. SameSame says:

Yeah, missed those times. There was another famous chendol and rojak corner near the field at Greentown! That was awesome and delicious too. They then moved to Ashby road and quite frankly the taste changed too!

5. SameSame says:

Hei Felicia,

Thanks. The last time I went pass Ashby Road (next to the Indian temple) they were closed but the rojak shop is still running. I so miss his chendol la!

6. Karu says:

I leaved at the barber shop (Star Hair Dressing Saloon) when i was a kid. I know this chendol man very well cos i use to buy cendol from him. Now i heard that he has passed away quite some years ago.
    Feel very sad for this man.

from what I heard, the Rojak stall (which used to be near the Ipoh Padang) is still there….my family and I met him at the Ramadan Bazaar at the Perak Stadium….

8. S.Y. Lee says:

The rojak stall has now moved into a coffee shop next to the Ipoh Padang. It is run by the grandsons or great grandsons of the original rojak man. When the rojak stall was next to the Ipoh Padang, the chendol stall was next to it and inevitably, when you order rojak, you also order chendol.

9. LMS136 says:

Ice balls , yes …..

If you asked for it to be split into two halves , you and your friend could have half each . This way instead of having an ice ball treat once a fortnight , you could have it once a week -for the same amount of money .

Our first lessons in economics , conservation of resources , making money lasts , partnership and trust …. all started young and were practised well in daily life .