This is the 2nd FREE map in this series – the first one was featured in this blog late last year. This map/brochure is published by Kinta Heritage Group Sdn Bhd, in collaboration with Perak Tourism and the Perak State Government. Inside shows another heritage trail which covers: Belfield Street, Cross Street, Leech Street, Treacher Street, Jalan Datoh, and along the river into Jalan Mesjid (Hume Street).

Also featured in this map/brochure is a short history of the Eu Chateau, as well as Dato Panglima Kinta. Copies of this can be obtained from leading hotels, the Railway Station, Tourist Information Centres, and also the Perak Academy Office.

1. Katherine Wong says:

Unfortunately, or sad to say the Government is not proud of colonial history or heritage. They don’t value the past. They pulled down historical artifacts and old buildings. It is our heritage and a legacy for our future generation. They are ignorant about the importance of history. If there is no past, there is not present. Sigh…….

2. Rosebud says:

Jeremy-I think you are far far away from Ipoh or Malaysia.’They’ have been trying to get rid of all traces of colonialism for some time.Ridding all colonial sounding street names is most obvious.I consider myself a true Ipohan & will never stop using their original names here. Nothing is going to make me change until they prise my cold dead fingers from my keyboard. They want to change history to their liking. They never maintain those old beautiful buildings prefering to let them crumble as these are ‘pendatang’ things. A few years back they even have the audacity to change Jalan Koo Chong Kong[a murdered ex Perak police chief] to a non ‘pendatang’ name. Luckily some brave Ipoh souls objected & they changed it back. These ‘they’ I’m talking about is still alive & kicking & Ipohans should watch them carefully.

3. zamzam says:

hopefully Ipoh akan ikut Melaka. jaga bangunan lama, rebuild, repaint or whatever it takes to make ipoh beautiful. Walk around Jejak Warisan Melaka lebih kurang sama macam Ipoh.
    Kalau Melaka boleh buat, kenapa Ipoh x boleh buat ?

i think kalau “orang2 kuat Ipoh” serius utk jaga n naik kan nama Ipoh, not imposibble UNESCO akan bg funding like Melaka n Penang.

so buat kerja k
    tq

4. S.Sundralingam says:

To Jeremy, Katherine and Rosebud, you are all right. The importance as part of our heritage is nevertheless immeasurable,and
    their urgent needs must not be ignored. These streets’ names and
    buildings of IPOH are part of the historic character of IPOH. It’s
    way to relate Ipoh’s past lives, they stand as physical evidence of the diverse people who have taken part in the city’s growth.

Untuk Zamzam, pandangan anda tepat, kalau kita tidak tahu menghargai dan menghayati warisan yang lampau, pupuslah sejarah kita. Justeru itu, sama-sama kita haruslah bersuara demi kepastian
    sejarah bandar yang kita cintai ini, IPOH.

5. Henry says:

There are those people sitting there doing nothing (but receiving salary) comes out with those brainless ideas changing those road names and even town name. Talking about teaching, appreciating and making History a must pass SPM subject but they are erasing It. Just not too long ago, i read news that there was this idea to change Port Dickson to Taman/Bandar Tentera. Huh.. For me that’s a brainless idea.

6. Katherine Wong says:

Sundra did you mentioned that they did away with the marble fountain in little India and put a toilet there instead. It is so sad and those who had done it, has no sense of aesthethic appreciation at all. The fountain in the 18th Century gone. It is very insensitive to the Indian community. I heard that the Indian community pray outside. Imagine them facing the toilet as they pray.
    I do wish we have more Zamzam in Ipoh to stand up togather with us and put a stop to this senseless blunder to the place we love.

Sundra last Saturday heritage walk was fun with about 30 people. Are you going again this coming Saturday. I think I will be present there. It is the only one day where I can do some walking exercise. My siblings and family have been complaining that I am growing horizontal without any exercise.
    Thanks for filling me in with so many history and stories during the walk. Hope you can come and continue to tell me more about the history, culture and future development of our Ipoh town.

7. Jefri says:

I so agree with all of you. Do you know how enbarassed I feel when my old friends from overseas came to visit Ipoh and found themselves lost because all the road names have changed? Not only where the names changed, the beautiful heritage buildings have also been torn down to make way for new buildings which have no culture, memories and value. Yes, it’s true that we must all modernize but not to the extend of making Ipoh only understandable to Malaysians. Have we forgotten that we also have foreign visitors? Belajar Bahasa Malaysia dulu sebelum melawat Malaysia? Alamak!!!

8. OJ says:

A twisted source of history. By reading this, it is as if i am reading the history of Guangzhou or Tianjin.

Ipoh is a Malay town, how can the history is dominated by the Chinese Immigrants stories. So untrue.

To Perak Government, please rewrite the facts.

9. superyusrie says:

OJ, I am wondering what you mean by “THIS” in what you claim as twisted history.

This blog is a little skewed to the chinese & Indian side mainly because there is very few contributed articles from the Malays.

Btw, that “dulang” wielding nyonya reminds me so much of my own mum…how she toiled so hard in the Kinta river to give us pocket money for school. :’( *in tears*

10. Ken Chan says:

I have not had the opportunity to participate in the Ipoh Heritage Trail Walk but judging from the interesting brochure, it should be a worthwhile expedition for me on my next trip to Malaysia. I personally feel that there is an over-reaction on OJ’s part to assert that this walk propogates ‘twisted history’ that favors a particular race to the extent that it could be misrepresented as ‘the history of Guangzhou or Tianjin.’ Ipoh is truly a Malaysian town and its history is rich with heart-wrenching stories of the colonists, Malays, Chinese, Indians, as well as the expatriate community. They have all contributed in one way or another, to the city’s growth from a sleepy riverine village to become the Capital of Perak, and their experiences were often fraught with blood, sweat and tears. As Ipohites who are pasionate about preserving Ipoh’s history for reasons of posterity, it would be beneficial for us to maintain an open mind and accept the past factually, rather than being sidetracked by petty communal sentiments.

As for this blog, Ian, Felicia and the entire Ipohworld fraternity has done an exceptional job and speaking for myself, I would not have the audacity to ask for anything more. The fact that there are more bloggers from the Chinese and Indian community does not necessarily mean that the contents are skewed. It just reflects that some are more vocal than others, and they enjoy articulating their recollections about their hometown.

Yvette, Heritage Trail map can already be printed out from our blog at http://www.ipohworld.org/blog/?p=2749.

We shall also amend this blog entry (http://www.ipohworld.org/blog/?p=2586) to provide a full size printout of Heritage Map 2 sometime tomorrow (Tuesday) as the workload allows.

We shall then try to fit in a full size copy of the Batu Gajah Trail as soon as we can.

Watch this space!

Thanks for the question. The job is overdue and your prompt has helped to put us back on track.

12. Brewster63 says:

Dear OJ, perhaps an infussion of history of Ipoh may enlighten you that indeed Ipoh is more a Chinese town than KL . The Chinese opened tin mines in the Kinta Valley from late 1850 till 1980. The Chinese were brought in by the Brits to mine tin in the Taiping area . It flourished and overflowed to the Kinta Valley. The administrative centre of the British Colonial master shifted from Taiping to Ipoh. The population composition if you care to research the census thru the century of Kinta valley had been more Chinese especially in the urban areas of Ipoh, Kampar , Batu Gajah, Chemor, and even Timor and Gopeng. This is the reason of our Malayan Diversity and Beauty! One cannot Change History! After the Mamakutty Killed the tin industry , remember Maminco Flop costing us millions of Brtish Pounds, the supporting Tin industry ie the foundries , electrical workshops and metallurgy companies closed down caused high unemployment in Kinta Valley . The skilled Chinese artisans jumped planes in Taiwan , Japan, and USA. We lost a lot of skilled labour and that added to the Chinese diaspora of the 20th century.

13. NCK says:

I think OJ had no knowledge of the city nor the country’s history. He just happened to bump into this site, from unknown location, and left an instigating comments. All said, Ipoh population has always consisted of all the races.