blog122

Following your enthusiastic comments on an old blog post, we decided to put up something else from the Triumph Owners Club (Perak) Magazine. These are from the Driving Tests at the Military Square, Ashby Road, Ipoh (back in 1975). The car on the right was said to be a Triumph Herald 1200 saloon. Car lovers care to tell us about the car on the left? :)

On another note, what IS a ‘beer can test’?

The Mini on the left was likely four or five years old when the photograph was taken.

What you’re calling “Military Square” used to be somewhat more open than it is today.

And I wonder if, when they re-named Ashby Road, they knew who Ashby was.

• IKA says:

Just in case they don’t, we have the following but no photo of him.

Mr. William John Bernard Ashby, the only child of the late Mr William Ashby, European Inspector of Police, Straits Settlements. Joined the Civil service in 1891. First Secretary of the newly formed Kinta Sanitary Board under the chairmanship of Mr (now Sir) Arthur S Jelf. He retained the position until June 1926. Member of the Kinta Sanitary Board from 1931 to 1938. On his death Col Rae at the Ipoh Rotary Club said one tribute he would pay to the late Mr Ashby, a founder member and past president and that was the greatest he could pay was that Rn Ashby had lived up every Rotary principle.

Dear Mano

I always thought those KE10s seemed innovative and looked charming. Never drove one, though, so I can’t say much beyond that.

——

Dear IKA

Ashby Road was built and named in the early ’30s, nearly a decade before William Ashby died. It ran from Tambun Road through Ash Hope’s rubber estate[*] all the way to Anderson Road where the hospital was.

About William: when time permits I will add my own sketch of his life.

For instance, did you know he was the only member of the Sanitary Board to oppose the building of the Odeon Cinema? The rest of the board over-ruled him.

Also, one remembers that he had to bury his own daughter. As you can imagine, he was devastated and never really recovered.

As for a photograph: If I find one I will send it. Meanwhile, you could ask at the Ipoh Club. They may have something: William was Secretary for about a decade after his retirement from government service.

——

[*] Incidentally, Hope’s rubber estate was one of the sites considered for Ipoh’s airport in the ’30s.

3. Mano says:

Getting back to the photos. Driving schools around that time used Morris Minors for their students. These aging cars were then replaced with Japanese makes. The preferred make and model, at least in Ipoh, being the Datsun 1200.
    Therefore, the Mini as well as the Toyota and the Triumph must be privately owned and probably competing in this ‘beer can test’ as can be seen with the beer cans placed on the bitumen. How do we know they were beer cans? Back then only beer came in cans. Soft drinks were bottled.

Dear Mano

That’s an interesting point. The photos are said to have been taken in 1975. Do you remember when soft drinks started to appear in cans? I recall that, aside from beer, toddy also was canned beginning circa 1971.

4. Mano says:

Dear Ipoh Remembered, actually it was only ‘Tiger’ beer and the occasional Mackeson Stout from the NAAFI that came in cans.
    You would recall the Indian men from Jln. Bendahara on bicycles collecting stuff for recycling? They were happy to buy the empty bottles but not the cans.
    I’ve only seen toddy in bottles. It tasted horrendous! I guess due to it’s natural state, toddy tastes best straight from it’s source and it’s freshness cannot be kept in a container for long.
    My first glimpse of soft drinks in cans was on board a flight in 1977.

Dear Mano

Thanks for the 1977 reference point.

As for toddy: there was a company that canned it. I don’t recall, and more likely never knew, the company’s name but its production was based in the Telok Anson area and the beverage was called Nira Cola (nira being the Malay word for the unfermented juice). You can find references to it on the Internet. For the first few years beginning in the late ’60s, it was offered in bottles. Canning began in the early ’70s but, from what I can tell, by the late ’70s or early ’80s the company had failed, perhaps because of the limitation you mention.

5. S.Y. says:

Ipoh Remembered
    The name of the company was Nira Cola Sdn. Bhd. It was not in Teluk Intan but in Hutan Melintang. They collected deposits before giving agencies to dealers to sell the bottled drink. The bottle exploded and it was not a success. I remember filing claims for the number of agents against the company. They could not pay and on their behalf, I attached their premises. The agents only recovered a fraction of the deposits from the proceeds of the auction.

Dear S.Y.

Thanks for the pointer to Hutan Melintang. I knew that production was based in the Telok Anson area but I could not recall precisely where.

Two questions: You mention the company’s exploding bottles (!) but do you recall the use of cans? And if you were present (so to speak) at the winding up of the company, do you recall when that was?

Not relevant to felicia‘s questions, of course; I’m just curious.

• S.Y. says:

Dear Ipoh Remembered,
        My clients did not petition for the winding-up of the company. I do not remember when they were wound up. I cannot remember when we carried out the attachment – must have been in the 190s. We only executed on the judgments by seizure and sale. I cannot recall the use of any cans then, probably canned drinks were not invented.