Ipoh was clearly more green back then. And there was less traffic too. Here we see a lone figure with two baskets balanced on a coolie pole, walking towards a bridge. Which bridge was this? What about the shady trees – are they still there?

We thank Alan for this 1960s picture.

1. Kit says:

This steel structure bridge is by the side of the Ipoh main bus station (Medan Kidd) up on a hill slope. From the middle of the bridge, you can also witness the Ipoh railway station on the right. This road leads toward Sg Pari Tower and Buntong New Village. However, this bridge has since been demolished.

2. Steven Lee says:

The slope up the bridge over the railway line at Douglas Road leading to Maxwell Road is much steeper. Also, I don’t remember any building that is seen on the right of this photo at that bridge.

3. Charlie says:

We have had this debate before on a previous post of some similar pictures. There, there were suggestions that the railway bridges were along Maxwell Road or Anthony Road or St Johns Road. The trouble is, all the Iron Railway Bridges were almost all identical. The sad thing is, you cannot see them anymore in Ipoh or Perak.

4. Steven Lee says:

All structures have lifespans, upon which they must be either replaced part-by-part to preserve the original design, or demolished and rebuilt with a different design.

The iron bridges that have been demolished were narrow, wide enough only for one lane on each side, and with pedestrian walkways at both sides. In the onslaught of development and increased traffic volume, the bridges became woefully inadequate and had to be replaced.

Photographs are the only evidence left of the bridges and what they looked like.

5. Ipohgirl61 says:

Kit is correct – if you look at the pix carefully, you could see the rooftops of the pre-war shophouses at the top of the shot.

I do remember the rain trees and the bridge vividly, as my dad had to pass it whilst going to my gran’s place in Sg Pari. The bus station, of course is on the right, while ACS is on the left.

Yes, it’s a shame that not only one bridge is preserved. These were super sturdy made to last more than a lifetime…………

6. Soosay says:

hmm somehow i think this bridge is the one at Jalan Panglima Bukit Gantang where the BPR Ipoh Branch and the SPCA shelter was on both sides of the road leading up to the Hindu Temple near YMCA.
    It was recetly demolished to make way for the new road structure now which leads to Jalan Kuala Kangsar…
    I used to love driving there on my way to school when i was in Anderson. Nice trees lining the road up to Jalan Istana.

7. Mano says:

Soosay, I’m afraid this is the bridge near the bus station and ACS. If it is the bridge you’re refering to, then, one would see the junction where the Kuala Kangsar Rd meets this road (Douglas Rd) before the bridge if you’re coming up from Maxwell Rd. Moreover, Douglas Rd. was much narrower. If you’re coming from Anderson Rd, there would not be any buildings on the right and the stretch from the Anderson Rd junction to the bridge was shorter.
    In my early days, having just moved to ‘brand new’ Lim Gardens, with my new found friends, I used to wander all over the area, quite often going under (mostly) or over the bridge that you refer to. There was one morning, we came across, to our shock, a man hanging from that bridge above the railway lines! The trains were delayed till the body was removed.
    However, I must admit, due to the similarity, I too thought that this was the bridge in the picture!

8. Mano says:

Oh, by the way, on a different note, what is it with the authorities when it comes to renaming the roads and streets? Do they have to be so long winded and complicated? Don’t get me wrong, I am all for nationalism, patriotism and all that but back then the names were so practical and easy to roll of the tongue. For instance, jump into a cab and say,”Anderson Road!”…easy! Instead of, “Jalan Panglima Bukit Gantang”! Thank goodness for e-mails. Otherwise we’d be hard pressed with the limited space on the regular sized envelopes!

9. hasbi says:

I went to Douglas Road Primary School in late 50’s, this is not the iron bridge leading to Douglas Road. The road name changed to Jalan Panglima Bukit Gantang Wahab named after the 1st Mentri Besar of Perak, Panglima Bukit Gantang Abdul Wahab Toh Muda Abdul Aziz.

The photo above is the iron bridge immediately after the Kidd Road Bus Station leading to Maxwell Road (Jalan Tun Abdul Razak). At the right of the bridge, down below you can see the rooftops of shophouses along Connolly Road (Jalan Tun Perak). Passengers from the bus station crossed the railway lines illegaly to reach Connolly Road.

10. Mano says:

I guess we should be relieved that they did keep the name short!:)
    Such a historical figure should be remembered one way or another. Thank you for that info, Hasbi.

11. Valiant Knight@UV says:

This is definitely the bridge next to the Bus Station as the on Douglas Road leading into Maxwell Road – Labrooy Road Junction has no buildings as there was a railway line and the old State Secretariat wasn’t built yet. I had to ride my bike up the slope everyday to go to ACS and then do the same on the steeper slope when I go home from ACS.