“Sited at the key junction of Hugh Low Street, Gopeng Road, Tambun Road and Brewster Road it welcomes travellers to Ipoh from all directions.”

Yes, we’re talking about the Sultan Yussuf Fountain (see picture below). While many of you have interesting stories about this unique landmark, we’d like to draw your attention to the plaque. Any idea what was written on it? As far as I know, that plaque is no longer there (or perhaps it’s hidden among the flowers?).

fountainIpoh

We thank Edwin Seibel for this photograph.

1. Mano says:

Beg to differ, Stephen. Can’t remember the names of the roads but Dr martin Luther King roundabout was at the junction where the road to St Michael school and the road from the railway station met. Right in front of the Ipoh Library(if it’s still there).

2. T Toh says:

That’s right,Mano.Its the roundabout that leads you to St. Micheal school and Ipoh padang.St Johns church is next to the roundabout.

welcome to our blog, Stephen 🙂
    Mano and TToh…there’s no roundabout there now. it’s a set of traffic lights. not sure when this change happened.
    anyone know when?

4. AARON ONG says:

Yes indeed there was a roundabout in front of the Tun Razak Library, though I can’t remember if ever there was a name for the roundabout. It was replaced by the present traffic light system in the 80s. I can’t remember the exact year.

5. Allan Lim says:

I remember that roundabout as kids we used to hang out there to see falling bikes – in the old days the police used to pour small amounts diesel oil on the road so that speeding bikes would fall

6. Mano says:

That’s quite a revelation, Allan Lim! I thought only tow truck operators (nicknamed ‘vultures’) resorted to such methods.

7. Steven Lee says:

I was an innocent victim of the police tactic to stop speeding motorcycles. It happened at the roundabout on Tambun Road that leads to army base at Canning Garden. My motorcycle slid about 30 feet while I slid more than 10 feet. I was going slow, otherwise my injuries could have been worse. I had skin scraped from an elbow, both knees and a leg, from the calf to the buttocks (I was wearing shorts). It was quite a surprise to me because the night was still early (between 8 and 9 pm). The police usually poured diesel later, when motorcycles start to race.

8. Mano says:

Ouch!!! That would have hurt! What were you riding at that time, Steven? Apart from the ‘Kap Chai’s, the early 70’s saw the influx of the two strokers from Suzuki, Yamaha and later Kawasaki. The one that stands out from my memory is the Yamaha LS3. Often with a rubber eagle stuck on it’s headlamp!

Referring to the roundabout that used to be where Clayton Road, Douglas Road, and Club Road met, felicia writes:

there’s no roundabout there now. it’s a set of traffic lights.

Back in the 1920s, if you wanted to go from, say, Clayton Road to Club Road, you could not simply turn left. Your way left was blocked by that corner of the padang, which “extended” north in a sort of large triangle. So, first you had to drive north on Douglas Road (it was still considered part of Kuala Kangsar Road at the time), then make a U-turn back down to Club Road. And all three roads were narrow at the junction, and no one ever knew who had the right of way. It’s a good thing traffic was still light in those years.

In the late ’30s, by which time there was a lot more traffic and speeds had increased, two things happened because they had to happen. First traffic engineers finally painted some white lines on the road and added “Yield” signs so that drivers had some sense of which lane to follow and when to sally forth. Then, soon afterwards, that giant triangular “extension” of the padang was removed. Now, finally, you could simply turn left from Clayton Road to Club Road.

Then came the roundabout, which has now been replaced by traffic lights.

Whereas at the place where Hugh Low Street, Brewster Road, and Gopeng Road meet, it was a set of traffic lights that was replaced by a roundabout, constructed in 1963 along with the fountain that’s still there (as shown in the photograph above).