1. hwUS says:

I think this photo was taken from where the Red Omnibus company had their hub. The buildings straight ahead include a coffee shop cum hotel. Us ACS boys from Falim, Menglembu, and Lahat used to catch the red bus in front of the hotel after school hours. I may stand to be corrected but that scene is very reminiscent.

2. kkfoong says:

It is probably taken from the bus station towards Bulatan Bahagi. If I remember correctly the hotel is called Southern Hotel and the restaurant on the ground floor sold kaya pau.

• felicia says:

Hi Chuah TC. Thanks for your comments.
      Comparing the two photos, I have a feeling you’re right. The donor of this photo told us this was known as the ‘Lahat Roundabout’, hence I put it up as such. Of course now the old road names have changed…and correct me if I’m wrong, I think this particular roundabout has a different name too!

3. mike singh says:

Wonder in which year this photo was taken?All buildings seen are prewar.The leftmost with firewalls on the roof are part of now little India.one housed Rama villas restaurant.
    In the centre(two storey) wasTung Nam South East Hotel.one shop was occupied by a Punjabi restaurant we called Chanan Singh shop,the owner then till the late 70s. The Punjabi newspaper Malaya Samachar would be read out to the rest.Updated if you cannot read or….frugal.
    The very first of three storey shops dealt with radio and TV.traces of painted sign board still evident. from 60s .later a real estate agency run by the son until 2yrs ago
    The building on the extreme right???

Hi Mike. Thanks for the information. I didn’t know there was a Punjabi newspaper back then! Do you know if it’s still in circulation?

5. mike singh says:

The last copy of the Punjabi newspaper was printed a few years ago.It was around for about a century.It reported news from India and summary of news from local newspapers.
    Wonder if anybody remembers the bullacart association across the South East hotel on the site where the new development of shop houses has taken place.I can remember bullacarts parked under the shady raintrees until the 60s.
    When were they banned from the streets?

6. rosebud says:

In the 60s, Sikhs would periodically came to my housing estate with their cows to graze on grass that grew on the roadside. The cowherds were usually young Sikh youths. Once,one of them tried to be fresh with a neighbourhood Chinese girl. Later I saw her dad & elder brother gave him a good punchup. Every once in a while an old Sikh man would come around in a 2 wheeled cart pulled by a cow to sell cowdung to people with gardens. He would be seated on the cart with a twig to guide the cow. He would call out ‘Ah Mah,kuchi kuchi!’ which I translate loosely to Cantonese as ‘Aunty, cowdung, cowdung’

7. Charlie says:

We used to live on Jalan Manjoi during the 60s and there were also a lot of bullock carts around there. Both my Mum and Dad loved planting orchids and fruit trees. They gave a lot of business to the cowdung supplier. If I remember correctly, they also shouted similar words.
    As to this area, there were cow sheds all the way to Menglembu. Bullock Carts were the main form of transport for the rubber plantations and tin mines to the railway yards located around the Falim area, prewar.
    Believe it or not, Falim House owned some of the best herds around.

8. mike singh says:

Yes Charlie, the cowherds and bullock cart owners always shouted the same words.you know the cows only understood Punjabi.I shall translate them for you when I meet you at old town.

I never cease to be surprised by the twists and turns the comments can make on this blog and this series is a great example. Jus a simple photo of a roundabout has led to sp many interesting facts and masses of local history. Do keep it up folks. It is a pleasure to read.