From Google previously from Jalan Leong Boon Swee now relocated to Jalan 1, 3, 5, (2nd Floor), Jalan Mustapha Al-Bakri, (Above McDonald’s) ( Formerly Clare Street).
    I believe MacDonald also closed. This was where the Cold Storage was. During the 70s, there were many Electronic Institute & graduates had good employment opportunities as there were many Electronic Factories mushrooming in most states. I have a relative who studied one Electronic Institute somewhere opposite Cathay Theatre. He went back to Penang to join NS after graduation. There was also one trade school opposite Anderson school.The trade school there also taught electrical & electronic for apprentice from Perak Hydro. One of them is an IR now.

Dear felicia, I think the place you’re asking about was founded in the 1970s and is now Maxwell College (on Charleton Road). I imagine you can contact the director or principal.

As for the place sk refers to above, I don’t know if it’s related.

And as for the aforementioned Charleton, he was a Maxwell, too, older brother of Eric the lawyer. Among other things, Charleton became more than fluent in Malay. There is a little bit about him in the database; I can write more if needed.

—-

Dear sk … What are the “NS” and “IR” that you mention above?

Hi Ipoh Remembered-
    NS is National Semiconductor & ” IR “(ingenieur) is a Title for Professional Engineer to what “Dr” is to a doctor .
    The “Ir” identifies them as engineers who meet the highest professional standards. … Register as a Professional engineer.

• ravi says:

yes.. i was in ungku omar in 1980..
        Electronics and communication.
        i worked in carters producing LED .. good old days
        till 1982, when i left to american..
        finally got back here in 2007.!!

• sk says:

Hi Ravi, Just saw your name here. I dont know if you the same Ravi that I know in Carsem in Ipoh. If you are, can you pass me your email & contact to Ipohworld editors? No wonder couldnt find you as you went to America. You are very huge but surprisingly very good in badminton. Played with you in Catholic High School in PJ in the 70s.

Dear Mano, I think you’re right.

Carter Semiconductor was an offshoot of Fairchild Semiconductor, the company that more or less forced the creation of Silicon Valley. Fairchild’s president in 1967, John Carter, was fired for losing money hand over fist. He and his son then financed the creation of Carter Semiconductor, hiring a few people away from Fairchild in the process.

Both Fairchild and Carter were early entrants in Malaysia, though I think you’re right that Carter reached Ipoh first. It’s still there in the guise of Carsem, one could say, though I think it was acquired along the way by one or another of Hong Leong’s tentacles.

——

By the way, felicia, did you reach anyone at Maxwell College? I hope someone there can tell you more about P. I. E.

• felicia says:

Ipoh Remembered, we’ve been swamped with work lately – what with clearing the backlog and trying to prepare for an upcoming project.
        Haven’t had the time to contact Maxwell College….shall keep that in mind for the future.
        By the way, I did manage to get information about the Mariaville Kindergarten and I’ve put up their story on the database.

Dear felicia … I just saw the two new database entries!

The first one is as thorough as can be; and in the second one, I think the 2005 magazine cover is my favourite: very friendly!

Thanks much to the donors for their time and openness — and thanks much to you and ipohWorld for sharing what you found.

Mano, Yes Carter Semiconductor . There was some bantering in ” Where was the Olympic Inn “. I was there when it happened. Still in contact with one of the Hongkie Expatriate after over 40 years !

Dear sk … When you say you were “there when it happened,” do you mean that you worked for Carter Semiconductor in Ipoh? Or that you were in Ipoh when the firm appeared? In either case, can you remember what year we’re talking about?

(Admittedly the first two are personal questions, so I hope you feel free to ignore them without comment.)

So … 1977? 1978? 1979?

In the “Olympic Inn” discussion, someone said the building became “a training centre for the first electronic plant in Perak sometime in the early 70s.”

I guess you’d say it was the late ’70s — in which case I’d agree, because I think the building was still a state guest house (“Asrama Perak”) even into ’79.

Ipoh Remembered – Both are correct – early 70’s & late 70s as both co – existed.
    The factory was running alongside the Asrama. One Malaysian Footballer player was handcuffed to the pole in Asrama in Jest. The football team was staying there.

The factory was running alongside the Asrama.

I did not know that. Thanks, sk!

But how did both operations run simultaneously? Did they divide the space?