I remember that at one time, nearly every school in Ipoh had a scout, cub or girl guide movement. I don’t hear much about these activities. Maybe, its popularity has waned as social media has taken over our lives.

There was a scout camp behind Sekolah Tengku Abdul Rahman and before Radio Ipoh along Jalan Ampang Bahru. It was called something like ‘Herselt’ Camp. I didn’t think it was often used. I remember a friend telling me that camping there was never a positive experience because of the swarms of mosquitos. I think it does not exist anymore. However, the Girl Guides Building along Jalan Abdul Jalil, which was specially built for the purpose, is still in use.

I heard a lot about jamborees way back in the 60s and scouts yearned to attend one of these events.

Hi Again,

The Scout Camp Name was Hertslet, named after H.R. Hertslet. He was said to be the oldest scout in Malaya.

He was actually buried in Ipoh. You would find him on Face Book with a photo of him and his grave.

As for the camp, if you click Ipoh Troop Competition Hertslet Camp|1965|Poh Kheng Ooi|Flickr, you would find pictures of scouts at the camp.

Yup, you are right, Ngai C O. It was Hertslet Camp, next to RTM. I spent 2 nights there as 8th Ipoh Scout Troop as a Tenderfoot in 1967. Good old days.
    I remember a bit of our scout creeds : Bahawa sa sungguh nya, Saya berjanji dan Bersedia…….Our motto was Bersedia Berkhidmat We have to memorise these before we can pass our scout test.
    I passed by the camp a few years back. It looks deserted. What a pity.

Hi sk,

Thanks for sharing your experience as a scout and at Hertslet Camp. Do you still remember the types of knots? If I am not mistaken, many shops stocked scouting paraphernalia.

I remember stories of scouting activities that involved play-acting as red Indians and what not.

For some reason, it did not appeal to me although many of my friends took part in it. One even rose to become a Queen Scout, a very prestigious position, so I came to understand. Oh, he was very proud of it, doubtless, much to the envy of others.

My association with the camp was to do with my adventures as a kid. Like many facilities in the 50s and 60s, there was no fence and gate to enclose the area. One could literally get close up even to the wooden building and hang about as long as one wished. It was like an open park. And the rain tree was perfect to shelter from the sun although I had to watch for the hairy caterpillers falling from the tree. On contact with the skin, one would get a severe rash that would last for days.

Here is a link to an article about scouting in Malaya earlier times – in British Malaya – HAL. Both Nestle and Kodak ran advertisements in the local Scouting Magazine.

Ha3, Ngai C O , Since you mentioned it, in order to pass the knot tests, we have to tie 7 knots behind our back. one of which was Sheep Shank. I totally forgot about the knots until you mentioned it! I remember one scout commissioner who retired as a teacher and taught in Methodist English (P ) School. I heard stories that if he would pull aside a Scout and asked him to recite the Scout Creed.
    In Britain its called Queen’s Scout but in Malaysia, its called Agong Scout. I remember borrowing my friend’s brother Agong Scout insignia & cellophaneted onto my bedroom wall. There were many Jamborees . I wonder if they still hold it .
    I lost my scout beret, uniform, belt but I think I still have my cloth scout badge or my 8th Ipoh Troop left shoulder label inside my Mail Coin box which I have kept for the past 60 odd years. The Mail coin box was a popular item during the 60s. It was Made In USA . You deposit your coins through a spring like Mail Chute like in the Mail Box.

4. Shen Ooi says:

Back in the early 70’s when I was a Patrol Leader in 29th Ipoh of S.M.I. We used to hold an Annual Camp at Hertslet Camp. I remember foraging for thickets of bamboo grove so that we could build our altar fires for cooking. I looked forward to this yearly affair as it was exciting sleeping under stars, so to speak. Unfortunately I never achieved my King Scout (for some reason we still referred to it being as King Scout rather than Queen Scout or Agung Scout) but was able to achieve the Scout Cord which was the highest accolade for a junior Scout under 16 yrs old. Also with reference to SK’s comment about knots…. I can remember the Reef knot, Round turn and 2 half hitches as well as the Bowline. Our Scout Masters of that time were Timothy Chee and Thomas Choo. I have very fond memories of those times.

Hi sk and Shen,

Thank you for sharing your scouting experience. I was quite fascinated with the different types of knots. Years later, I observed an Ugandan chap using his scouting knowledge to secure a frame with cords.

The Queen scout friend got his award before Merdeka as he was about 10 years senior. After independence, the scout’s allegence was to the Agong or Malaysian king.

6. Merrill Leong says:

I became a King Scout of the First Ipoh Troop (ACS) in 1970. It was also known as Pengakap Raja then. To qualify, one must pass the required prescribed number of mandatory badges and hold the Bushman Tong. A standardization camp was conducted at the Hertslet camp to ensure compliance with the standards required before one can become a Pengakap Raja.

I remember Timothy Chee, a scout master and teacher from the SMI. If I remember correctly, he was the examiner for the Venturer badge. Other active scouters in those days were Rocky Pereira, the District Commissioner and Smiling Tiger (forgot this doctor’s name… Ambulance badge), both of whom were present at the standardization camp.