Dear V. Radnell (and felicia), thanks for the photograph. Is there a date associated with it, please?

For now I can just say that those fluorescent lights do not remind me of any wet-market I recall seeing in Ipoh.

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

Whilst we wait for the date, my guess is that the fluorescent lights were installed after the market was rebuilt following a massive fire in the seventies.

When searching for information about the fire, the market was built by a Chinese miner, Yau Tet Shin.

It clearly shows I am beginning to learn more about The Ipoh I did not know.

I think Ipoh World has a ‘copy’ of The Town that Tin Built with forward by E. G Waller, the architect of the infamous Waller Court. Though his intentions were good to provide affordable living space.

Firstly, looking at the picture, I could make out Ayam brand canned stuff, very handy larder stock in that period. I also noticed the easily recogniseable bottle shape and Clorox logo. I could not be definitive about the rest of the other things, of course excluding the rice, shallots and onions.

Incidentally, I paid a visit to the flea market the other day, looking for ancient electrical assessories, the bakelite and porcelain era, that I have started to collect. I think I am a bit too late for this ‘venture’
    I also dropped by the Sunday flea market after noticing lots of people opposite ex Sim Lim Finance. No luck either.

Times have changed with grocery shopping formats as compared to the Indian man’s set up; low overhead costs and concentrating on everyday essential items.

Big companies spy on each other and try to outsmart competitors. Not only that, they employ psychologists to observe shopping habits via the CCTV and the tills. Paying by debit and credit cards give the supermarkets more information about the customer.

My local supermarket strategically places toilet tissue, bread, sugar and frozen stuff at the far end of the main entrance. Very clever tactic.

They do many other things to increase footfall and retain customers’ loyalty.

3. NCK says:

I remember going to Super Kinta having to pass by the smelly wet market. Ipoh people had little choice then. It was the largest departmental store in the city (and once in the country). To avoid going into the wet market, I usually went up the outdoor ramp that led to the main entrance of the store. The store met its demise soon after Jusco and Ipoh Parade came into the fray.

4. S.Y. says:

If you go to the Central Market today at the section facing the former McDonalds, you probably find the Indian stalls still pretty much the same and selling similar things. Time has stood still. May be cheaper than your malls but no air-cond

• NCK says:

Talking about low prices, I don’t know if you know about the RM2 store between Main Convent and Ipoh Parade. There is a wide range of merchandise in the store, each priced at RM2 (+6% now). Similar products normally cost a few times more in supermarkets and shops. Every time I make a home trip to Ipoh, I will make sure to buy a few things from the store.

• S.Y. says:

You can also go to the side stall outside the Pasir Pinji market on Sunday small cheap articles. The night markets (pasar malam) also offers a lot of cheap stuff besides the variety of food. I went to the pasar malam next to Tesco in Ipoh Garden a few times. There were delicious cooked crabs, “lok lok”, kueh and other food stuff.

5. Ex bundles trader belakang looking says:

yup… i remember that indian trader and the stall. Based on that newly painted green color columns, i can confirmed that photo was taken after 1990′s.
    For info, super kinta wet market started operation in 1981. I’m helping my dad selling vegetable at the same location with that indian trader and we are among the first batches.