Ladies and Gentlemen, we present to you 99 Anderson Road, Ipoh!

This building was originally owned by Foong Seong. Later, the Cheong family bought it. When the Cheongs lived here, the front part of the building was a men’s hairdressing salon while the back portion was a famous tailors shop from where hundreds of made-to-measure school uniforms would emerge. Any of the old girls remember Mdm Loong Foon Yoong who used to measure all the girls herself?.

The Cheong family then moved away, thus the shop became a computer shop.

This picture was taken back in the late 1970s, when Utama Computer Centre sold Apple Computers. Probably the only Apple Store in Ipoh then – unless you know different!  🙂

What is it now?

N.B. The story of the Cheong family growing up in Anderson Rioad is in the book  “Ipoh, My Home Town”.

1. S.Y. Lee says:

I remember purchasing a cloned Apple computer and there was a colour display, a rare thing then. Programming those days was difficult. I remembered seeing a boy of 15 programming an apple with a worm wriggling out of it. When told that it was on the wrong side of the apple, he did a few quick typing on the keyboard and viola, there was the worm on the other side. I also learnt WordStar on the computer.

2. AARON ONG says:

Yeah, who can forget wordstar? what happened to it now?. And Dbase. I was pretty good at dbase programming.

Lotus 1-2-3 completes the trinity of office software.

3. S.Y. Lee says:

I remember attending a short computer course on BASIC at the Shen Chai school. That led to nowhere as the language was not powerful enough for anything. But I learnt that 8 bits make 1 byte and also all the 0000 and 1111. I also learnt about the logic in programming. I think DBase stopped at version IV. I remember using Alpha4, which basically used the DBase language but after the DOS version, it faltered and died with the Windows. And of course, the Millenium – in the year 2000 when a lot of programmes which could not take into account the turn of the century – they failed. AFter WordStar, I changed to Multimate. Then I went into WordPerfect. But all these became history with Word and Windows. Computers were expensive those days. The Wang and other dedicated computers used to cost anything from RM30,000 to over RM60,000. My Exxon, a dedicated Word Processor cost me RM25,000. The printing ribbon cost RM45 and the disk cost RM35 (or was it the other way round). My first IBM desktop with no hard disk but with only two floppy drives cost me over RM10,000.

4. AARON ONG says:

Wow SY, The figures you quoted were mind boggling! In 1984 the apple II (or was it IIe) was about 2.5k, perhaps 8 months pay of a clerk!

Yeah I did play around with BASIC too but didn’t go beyond the most elementary stuff, in favour of computer games. That year 1984, Karateka was the top game, if I’m not mistaken.

5. Charlie says:

In the days before Steve Jobs, personal computers were unheard of. When we were students then, and were required to run any programs, we had to write it ourselves, usually in Basic (or Fortran for the more advanced). Then we had to type it in ticker tape form and place it in front of the computer room, most probably an IBM mainframe, and let the technician run it overnight. If you are lucky and if your program works, you will get the results back the next morning. I bought my first computer, which was an Apple IIe in 1984, but had to have it sent from KL. All the computer shops in Ipoh sold only the cloned Apple IIs and pirated software. “Medfly” was a brand for an Apple Clone, and was derived from the “Mediterranean Fly” which one year almost wiped out the entire apple crop in Europe.

6. Helen says:

You guys are right. I was a proud owner of a spanking new Olivetti 286 Pc which cost around 5k. I was so happy because in those days, owning a Pc meant alot.

7. Stex says:

Aha! This was the shop lot belonging to my yee-sok poh. As we were browsing “Ipoh My Home Town” some 2 weeks ago, my mum was truly overjoyed to find a familiar face in this book. Loong Foon Yoong was my mum’s 2nd auntie – from her father’s side.
    My parents were owners of a coffeeshop called Tatlock (currently known as Ayamas). During those days, I remembered riding on rickshaw to visit my yee-sok-poh with my mum at 99 Anderson Rd. I grew up and stayed in Tatlock since a baby till my early teens.
    I am sure many of you here who is old enough would have frequented our coffee shop. Do you know if there are any articles related to that street in this weblog? Thanks all.

8. Stex says:

Hi Kuan,

I guessed u wouldn’t remember much of me cos’ I am too actually still a young boy when I frequented your place in the early 80’s. My mum and sis were at your mum’s 80th dinner party in KL and I think you have met up with my brother in S’pore not too long ago right? I am Soong Cheng’s little brother, Soong Yew.
    Thanks for asking about how are we related. I am glad to re-connect with you too thru’ this website. I am now residing in Perth, Western Australia. My email is stevenmarianne@yahoo.com.au

9. Cervantes says:

Re “This picture was taken back in the late 1970s, when Utama Computer Centre sold Apple Computers.”

Are you sure about the date of the photograph? I suspect it’s from the 80s.

Cervantes, history/social history is such that we can never be sure that we have the exact date unless the photograph clearly states it. We therefore have to rely on the owner’s information or the best guess. In this case I am fairly sure that the donor told ud that they rented out the building to Utama Computer Centre in the late 70s. However, the photo may have been taken later. Sorry I cannot pin it down exactly.

11. Tshui says:

During the early 70s, as my office was 2 stones throw away, I always had my haircut in this shop. Undenyingly, there were some pretty barbers girls in that salon, but my favorite si-fu was the man who happened to come from my home-village, Pasir Pinji. Besides my barber friend, there was another si-fu who in contrast was much taller. They were the only two male barbers and incidentally, they made perfect thorns among those pretty roses. When the hairdressing salon was closed, probably in late late 70s, two of them promoted themselves by having their own hairdressing salon, namely Peking hairdressing salon, in Jalan Jubilee.

Once you post a comment only admin can make changes, but we can always make the change for you if you ask. So in this case Tshui I have changed torns to thorns on your behalf and deleted your post No 16. I trust that is OK.