Dear felicia … Is there a date associated with the product? I don’t know when it was introduced in Malaysia but elsewhere it was available beginning in the late ’60s.

• IKA says:

This toy was sold in toy shops between 1962 and 1967 when it was discontinued. The seller said it was from 1962 and brought in by an English family. That could be true but might also be salesmanship!

Good to know.

I don’t remember Fisher-Price toys being sold that early in Malaya or even in Singapore — the earliest I recall seeing them sold or advertised is the late ’70s — but as I wasn’t personally looking for them, I could be mistaken.

For this particular toy, the manufacturer gives the earliest date of production as 1968, but that was in the US. The version produced in the period 1962-1967 and then discontinued looked different: it had a wood-grain finish as opposed to a red one.

I have come across many musical toys but they were of Japanese origin. They were functional, did its job and cheap too.

People used to pooh, pooh them. Look at where Japan is. And their products from Japan are not cheap either.

2. Mike Blakeway says:

You may be interested to know that Fisher-Price was owned by the Quaker Oats company in the 1960s but now is a part of US toy giant Mattel that has been manufacturing in Kulim these past 30 years.

Fisher-Price was owned by the Quaker Oats company in the 1960s

No, only from 1969 through 1991.

As for Mattel, I knew they were in Prai and in Port Klang. If they manufacture in Kulim, are the products from their Fisher-Price division or elsewhere in the corporation?

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

Was Metal Box ever involved in the manufacture of Fisher Price toys?

I know it did for other companies.

Incidentally, I read that Metal Box produced all the printed biscuit tins including Huntley and Palmer.

I think it had a factory in Petaling Jaya.

Link below to –

Nottinghamshire Heritage Gateway > Metal Box.

Dear Ngai C O … You’re right that Metal Box had a plant in PJ and, yes, they did produce printed tins for Huntley & Palmer. Once upon a time the two parent corporations were practically neighbors in Reading, Berks.

I don’t know if Metal Box had a hand in the production of Fisher-Price items in Malaysia. I doubt it, but I will look into it as far as I can.

Ipoh Remembered, when you find out more…do share with us 🙂
    We’re happy to receive all the extra information from you and all our Readers here.