Was at Jubilee park as a young lad seeing Men & Ladies doing the Joget like Actress Saloma & Actor P Ramlee which was on a stage. This picture looks like inside a hall. At the main entrance , on the left was Grand Cinema & Right was Oriental Cinema. There were many arcades where you play many games like if your coloured ping pong ball dropped into a matching coloured cup, you win a prize. The Joget stage was somewhere at the back. This could be the place were Rose Chan did her performance but I was not allowed in.

Dear sk

Thanks much for these details. I was not a “regular” at Jubilee Park, so my memories of how the place operated are rather vague.

As for the kid in the photograph, she looks quite happy to — or at least, not unhappy to — see the person behind the camera. Perhaps it was a good day. I hope she had a good life.

2. S.Y. says:

As SK said it looks like in the inside of a hall, which could be any where and not necessarily the Jubilee Park. There was however a place in Jubilee Park where Chinese opera was perform every Sunday. This could be the hall. It definitely is not the place where they danced the joget which was in the open air (I think). My uncle and his then girl friend used to take me there when I was probably about ten.

Hi SY, Thanks for responding. Chinese hall ? Maybe as I dont go to opera as I dont understand the drama. Could the hall be behind the Oriental Cinema towards the right of the Entrance ?Looks like a fashion show as the pretty girl was wearing a lovely colourful Samfu & holding a Chinese Triangular fan

I just had a look inside Jubilee Park. Google had some good pictures & the person who captured all these shots certainly did us a favour. The side arcades are still there but the snooker centre and halls may not be there during the 60s. Was there a Merry Go Round here ? As far I can remember, not that I know of.

• Mano says:

sk, there was a Merry Go Round and a Ferris Wheel as well!
      In the link when you rotate to the billbboard structure in the background, those rows of building blocks in the forground was where the cabaret was and they were painted yellow.

Hi Mano, Thanks a million for your recollection.I cant remember very well. You mean the billboard that says Q Up Snooker on the right & a Sticker (Gerai Makan Wani Conner)) on the yellow door?
    That could be it. I thought it was Oriental Cinema. The hall opposite which is painted in rainbow colour could be the location of the Merry Go Round, Ferris Wheel & the Joget stage. Good , Mano. Very good memory

I googled and have a look outside. It has completely changed! The Grand & Oriental Cinema gone ! The Entrance of Jubilee Park also gone. Now taken over by electrical shop. Heritage gone

The floor looks like parqueted . Was the Jubilee cabaret floor concrete ? If it was, then this hall was not from Jubilee park. King’s hotel or Golden Jubilee perhaps. ?

Dear sk

You refer to two cinemas at Jubilee Park: the Grand and the Oriental.

I do remember the Grand. There were two versions of it in the same location, the first built before the war and the second built by Iversen in the late ’50s.

I do not remember an Oriental Cinema at Jubilee Park. I do remember previous theatres in Ipoh that used the name “Oriental.” The first was at Brewster Road and Anderson Road, and the second was on Brewster Road in Old Town. Both were operated by one of towkay Leong Fee’s sons.

HI Ipoh Remembered, I presumed you meant the Sun cinema at the end of Brewster Road near the kinta river bank. The other one in Anderson road. Cant think of a cinema there except Ruby.

Dear sk

Yes, a century ago there was an old wooden cinema hall adjacent to Brewster Road between Anderson Road and Osborne Street. This place was built by a Japanese entrepreneur from Singapore who operated it as a theatre for a few years, then leased it to Leong Eng Khean — Leong Fee’s son — who turned it into a cinema which he called the Oriental.

Soon, Eng Khean began to build a brand new cinema hall at the other end of Brewster Road in Old Town. When the new building was ready, he moved his theatre there, still calling it the Oriental.

Years later, when the Shaw brothers took over the building, they renovated the theatre and called it the Sun.