In the early 1900s, floods in Ipoh were rather common – possibly due to the silting of rivers because of mining. Later, plans were made to straighten the sharp bends of the Kinta River and divert the River Choh. This would allow the waters to flow into the Pinji River instead of directly flowing into the Kinta River.

But Ipoh wasn’t the only town with flooding problems. At one time, Kuala Kangsar suffered from it too. Below is an aerial view of part of Kuala Kangsar town, way back in 1967.

KK1967floodpicture from: Larry Sawyer

1. Annette Barnes says:

Actually this is Parit not Kuala Kangsar. I have the same picture from my Dad and it was taken in January 1967. I posted some pix of this on the Nostalgic Peninsular Malaya Facebook page a few months ago. You can see them there.

Annette, thank you for your correction, We welcome comments that put us on the right track a, being an educational organisation that supplies photos and details to students worldwide, as well as authors, documentary makers and researchers it is important that we are accurate with our database archive.
    I have gone back a long way on Nostalgic Malaysia but so far have not found your photos. I need to see them as I am not sure whether this was in a set. We shall have a look at our archives on Monday and see if we can sort this out. If we are stuck would it be possible to come back to you for help.

• Annette Barnes says:

Sorry I just found your reply to my post in 2014. I have found the photos I posted on Nostalgic Peninsular Malaya. I posted them on September 22, 2014, and there were 3 that I posted from the floods.

3. Anonymous says:

This photo was taken during the great floods in Perak circa Dec 1966 to Jan 1967. The devastation saw some 11,5000 flood victims from the District of Lower Perak evacuated by soldiers to relief centres (mostly schools) for about 3 weeks.

Meals were provided 24 hours a day via mass kitchens manned by soldiers.

One memorable incident from this episode was when the then Assistant District Officer (ADO) Kg. Gajah in Lower Perak and his wife were stranded on the roof of their government quarters home for two days until they were rescued by soldiers in assault boats.

The then Sultan of Perak HRH the late Raja Idris Shah made several royal inspections along the Perak River from his palace in Kuala Kangsar to Teluk Anson (Teluk Intan) to ensure smooth rescue operations and the safety of his subjects.

• Anonymous says:

HRH Raja Idris used his speedboat that he designed and built by his team of craftsmen for inspection from his palace in Kuala Kangsar to Teluk Anson (Teluk Intan) during the floods.

• Larry sawyer says:

as i posted the original i feel i must explain. I have a special cover that holds about 14 photo’s. All the photo’s inside are flood photo’s. I posted some earlier. On the outside of the cover is written KK floods. I do not know how far Parit is from KK.