blog63

special thanks to Anonymous

Do you know these VIPs? Ok, we’ll make it easier for you 😉 Seated on the extreme right is none other than S P Seenivasagam.

Next to him is of course Sultan Idris and the lady beside him is his Consort (Che Puan Negara Aminah). And how can we forget Lau Pak Khuan – seated in the centre!

Do you know any of the others in the photograph? Or…perhaps you recognise the background and are able to tell us WHERE this photo was taken?

Dear felicia

As a matter of fact I think I do recognize the event shown in the photograph.

Does your anonymous donor know when the photograph was taken?

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

There are two more pictures in the Database and the year was round about 1965, which is fairly close.
    It mentioned the location as a restaurent.

The consort’s investiture was 1964, Lau Pak Kuan died in 1971.

In this pose where Lau Pak Kuan was sitting at the centre meant that it had something to do with him.

So the caption “Dinner with Royalty” is likely off the mark.

The sultan’s presence was to be found all over town where social events took place – bowling alleys, turf club, night clubs, parties etc.

We were at a bowling alley at the junction between Gopeng Road, Kampar Road and Hugh Low Street when he turned up impromptu. That was around 1970/71. In some sense Ipoh people loved him because of his presence and closeness; leaving aside his philandering ways.

After all, many well off Ipoh people liked to show off their trophies.

Thanks, Ngai C O

There are two more pictures in the Database

Could you please post the database entry numbers. (Not the entire URL, only the item numbers: you can see them towards the end of the URL.)

In some sense Ipoh people loved [the late Sultan Idris] because of his presence and closeness; leaving aside his philandering ways.

Yes, I think you have it exactly right.

• Mano says:

Sultan Idris was a nonconformist. He would arrive chauffeur driven to events and functions but for the return leg, he would get his driver to move over and drive himself instead. He loved his cars and enjoyed driving them.

3. Dot Carroll says:

The gentleman on the extreme left is the late Mr. Yeoh Kim Thean, my late uncle’s good friend and neighbour at Gopeng Road….

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

The File Number is 20171125 – 015.

Talking about the sultan visiting the joints, there was once a famous night club upmarket to Jublee Park Dance Hall. I cannot remember the name. It was at Jalan Yang Kalsom near the junction with Chamberlain Road opposite the Cathay Restaurent/Hotel.

At one time it even hosted strip shows. Then Mayflower nightclub at Chamberlain Road followed suit. Lads being lads, I would not be ashamed to say that I attended a few of these shows with my peers just before Christmas after we got our bonus. My late other half would not turn over and give me a clip on my earlobes.

The Chinese businessmen were very shrewd in that they used the sultan as a shield. Let us say the police were blind.

As for Lau Pak Kuan, he started the Social Welfare Lottery. He was prominent, a philanthropist, a kaomintang and fought for Chinese rights. But very little was written or known about him.

His name seemed to disappear from the face of the earth after his death. And his bungalow was left to the elements. It was converted to a Dim Sum outlet for a period. That was the impression I get.

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

If you look at the second picture that also shows the staircase, the wall had some Chinese inscription which a reader who can read Chinese can tell us more.

Below the inscription was a display cabinet on top of which sat the idols of three Chinese gods.

The layout and the environment were not typical restaurenty. It leads me to believe the occassion was held at an association.

Dear Ngai C O … Thanks, but I have to confess that I could not find file “20171125 – 015” in the database. Perhaps you or felicia can clarify.

Hi Ipoh Remembered,

If you type ipohworld dinner with royalty on Google, it will take you straight to the Database where you would find the two pictures.

Ipoh Remembered, Ngai CO..
    Our anonymous donor knows little to nothing of these pictures.
    As for this one posted on the blog, I was curious to know who the other people in the photograph are. And perhaps to also know where/when this photograph was taken.
    Yes, now that you’ve mentioned it Ngai…it does look more like a room / hall of an association, rather than a restaurant.
    I’m just making a guess here: apart from the Royals, perhaps the others in the photograph were members of the association? And since Lau Pak Khuan is Hakka, could this be a Hakka Association dinner?

Hi felicia,

There might well be members. I think they might be more than ordinary. In the third photo in the Database, it showed some expats.

I think they were specially invited guests.

Personally, I have not got a clue about these associations although I know of their existence. They were usually linked to the same political party directly otherwise.

Hi Ngai. Some of the photos were not taken at the same place. We just grouped them at random, since our anonymous donor shared a fairly large number of photos with us.

Hi felicia,

Thank you felicia. The information would help readers to see if they were connected.

Judging by the amount of stuff you receive from different sources, it looks like you would be fully occupied for a long time.

I can see the team are excellent curators with an eye for accuracy and detail. With updates and all.

8. Ken Chan says:

Spot on Valerie! The guy standing on the right is definitely Sun Ma Tze Tsang aka Sun Ma Chai, one of the greatest performers in the world of Cantonese opera. The lady beside him resembled the up and coming Cantonese opera singer Tsui Miew Chi. She was not an A-list opera star . In the 60’s, Sun led a troupe comprising of budding opera singers, to perform in Malaya. Can’t put my finger on the name of the other lady on the left. My late dad was an avid opera fan. Those faces looked familiar because they appeared on numerous record covers. My guess is that the picture was taken at the Golden Jubilee Restaurant on Kampar Road. In those days, that was the most famous restaurant in town.

• S.Y. says:

Ken Chan, I don’t think this looks like the Golden Jubilee Restaurant. Looks more like the night club at Kowloon Hotel or the Winner Hotel. The late Sultan Idris likes to go the the night club in Kowloon Hotel. Golden Jubilee Restaurant also has a night club. It was newer. In 1969 and 1970 you can get a brandy seven up for RM2.50. There was also a life band there then.

Hi SY,

Re: Yeoh Kian Teik, I was more or less guessing after comparing a picture of him elsewhere to this one.

Yes, I was referring to the nightclub at Kowloon Hotel.

Hi S.Y.

I think Winner was located at Jalan Ali Pitchay. Might be wrong.

I can vouch for Mayflower because I celebrated New Year’s Eve there with my late wife soon after we cemented our relationship earlier in the year.

Before Mayflower was built, the previous sort of colonial building housed a private school. Can’t remember the name.

You might recall there were loads of massage parlours along Jalan Ali Pitchay, Jalan Pasir Putih and next to Ipoh Motors. Competing with the night clubs, massage parlours, Jublee Park were bars with hostesses to keep the clients company. Alcohol was dirt cheap. I remember regularly frequenting one along Jalan Green Town.

The pub entry into the competition came after. I think Miners Arms set the scene. One opened at Jalan Lee Kwee Foh on the Ipoh Garden side and a couple at Ipoh Garden South.

When they lasted, it was something else to do apart from the amusement arcades, cinemas, mah jong dens or hawker/restaurent fare in the evenings.

There was so much spare time in those days after dinner or during weekends unlike now.

For many generations then, a job could be for life. To progress, it usually requires a change of at least three to four companies.

They dwindled by the late 80s due to the collapse in the economy.

• S.Y. says:

Ngai C O, Reading what you have typed brings back a lot of memories. I think you are right that Winner Hotel was in Jalan Ali Pitchay. Jalan Yang Kalsom was known as the golden mile in Ipoh. Ipoh, at one time, was notorious for massage parlours. The other place was Batu Pahat. The night clubs in Ipoh were like strip joints. Remember Tambun Inn? There was a night club there. There were normally two shows at night. The first show was a strip show by a Korean girl. For the second show, she performed a Korean cultural dance. We were a bit surprised and asked the waiter. He said “Oh, the OCPD just came in.”

10. Ignatius Chiew says:

Person seated second left, I guess is Perak Menteri Besar, Dato Shaari bin Shafie. Online searches placed his period as Menteri Besar from 1960 to 1964.

Dear Ngai C O

I think Winner [Hotel] was located at Jalan Ali Pitchay.

Yes, it was. It opened in 1960. The night-club was originally called the Winner Room, and it was on the top floor. There was a lift. I was never a guest at the Winner — not my kind of hotel — but I did know the band-leader slightly, a man named Felix. The hotel survived at least until the early ’80s. I believe the building is still a hotel but I don’t know the name.

The Kowloon Hotel was on Jalan Yang Kalsom. I will write about it on a different page.

NB: I answered an inquiry about Club 300 the other day. I should add here that it was located not far from the Kowloon Hotel and the Winner Hotel.

As for the Mayflower night-club, yes, you’re right about that, too: it was on Chamberlain Road.