From the precurser, the French unicycle. Called penny farthing because it resembles a penny and farthing. It existence did not last long, superseded by the bicycle.

Unicycles survive in acrobatic acts and hobbies.

As usual, saving from writing, Google Unicycle and Penny Farthing.

1. Mano says:

See the lamp? Well, it came to my knowledge, still in my teens in the early 70’s, that these or similar lamps were still available in some remote areas in India. I managed to obtain one through a friend who was visiting his relatives somewhere there. I’m not sure of what fuel the one on the penny farthing used but this used coconut oil. Mind you, back then coconut oil was what every household used for cooking until the big ‘cholesterol scare’ when everyone switched to canola oil which of late has raised a few eye brows but, as Ipoh Remembered says, that’s another story;)!
    So here I was with a new bicycle ‘retrofitted’ with an antique oil lamp and the conversation piece of Lim Gardens!

Answering various things from above.

Yes this is an original artifact although the name plate is missing. According to the information we have it is from around 1975 to 1880. The original owner was a pastor in England and eventually it found its way to Malaysia. We bought it in KL.

The lamp on the front was designed to run on kerosene (known as paraffin in UK) but of course would be able to use any thin oil although I am sure many of the oils would be very smokey. We understand that some people still used these lamps on their bicycles as late as 1925. We have a picture of one on our database.

Also on the database we have a framed picture of a penny farthing that came from a shop in Pusing. The oddity is that it is dated 1943 and advertises a Texas company . Surely we did not import these to Malaya so late!

Our life is full of misisteries.

3. Mano says:

A bit of trivia here, penny farthings were quite often featured in the 60’s TV series, The Prisoner, starring Patrick McGoohan.

Dear Mano

Very enterprising!

How often did you have to re-fill the oil tank?

——

Dear ika

Thanks for the details!

About this:

The advertisement was not for the penny-farthing; it was for the photo studio (Parker Studio). The photographer who owned the studio at the time (seven years, 1889-1895) was Chester Bushong, a well-known figure in Texas. He died in Massachusetts in 1938.

In other words, the photograph was probably taken between 1889 and 1895 and the penny-farthing was simply a “prop,” just as one might find other evocative objects used in posed photographs. The photographer may have been Bushong himself, or it could have been someone working for him.

As for the “K & C 1943” on the poster, I’m not sure that the “1943” refers to a year — but I’d have to look at a higher-resolution image to hazard a guess.

The database item (9026) is currently titled as follows:

The K&C Bushong Penny Farthing Bicycle

I’d suggest re-titling it to remove the suggestion that “K & C” or “Bushong” had anything to do with the provenance of the bicycle.

Incidentally, I was very glad to see the note saying you’ve re-framed the poster. It’s quite rare and I imagine it could fetch … a pretty penny.

• ika says:

Hi Ipoh Remmbered, yes I am back in the office and able to respond.

Thank you so much for the research you did on Chester Bushong. I have added your detail to the database item and modified the title accordingly.

I have also had a close look at the poster but there really is nothing more than you can see on the database.

I wonder therefore if the poster was reprinted by K & C in 1943 and sold as a poster.

Can’t tell without a closer look, as I said — but quite apart from that I am pursuing one other interesting lead. Will let you know if something useful emerges.

One correction and one addition …

I wrote:

The photographer who owned the studio at the time (seven years, 1889-1895) was Chester Bushong […] In other words, the photograph was probably taken between 1889 and 1895.

The “seven” should be “six” and both instances of “1889” should be “1890.” In other words, I believe the photograph was likely taken in or around 1890-1895.

In addition, I should mention that, while he was in El Paso, Chester Bushong himself became a keen bicyclist. And yes, I thought it was faintly possible that Bushong is the man in the photograph, but I’ve now checked with a member of his family, who does not think so.