No, this is NOT a product of Photoshop!

There was a ‘Parkson Ria’ shopping mall in Ipoh, somewhere in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Does anyone remember it? Did it close because of the fire….or before the fire broke out?

[ For those of you still wondering, let me put you out of your misery - yes, this IS the famous Lam Looking Bazaar ;) ]

1. Tony says:

before Parkson Ria it was Perak Emporium. I remember that it was the only emporium in Ipoh town and I always stop by after school. How time flies..

2. Joe Chin says:

The Lam Looking Building used to house the Celestial Cabaret on the upper floor and a snack bar on the ground floor. This was long before Parkson Ria came into being there.

3. Azlan Zaaiya says:

What I remembered was it was Perak Emporium and changed to Parkson in the 80s. Later it was Payless for a while and then in the mid 90s it closed down.

my earliest memory of Perak Emporium was about 1973 … the Emporium Group (including Selangor Emporium, Perak Emporium etc) folded in late 1970s and the Lion Group through Parkson, stepped into its shoes about 1983 … hence my reckoning of Parkson is about 1983 but i stand corrected

5. rahmah says:

hi, i think during my time it was parkson ria..after finishing work at a bank in old town, we would walk along the bridge to the store and buy stuff at the ladies dept…then finished the evening at a malay stall “mat jasak’ by the side of super kinta ..this stall was known among the malays for their mee & fish ball and fish cake…then may take a cab or bus back to silibin taman alkaff…those were the days..the 80s..

6. Stex says:

I missed those nice lights decor on the facade of the building in the days of Perak Emporium. Used to admired it so much ‘ as a kid’ when it all get lighted up at night ..and together with the hustle and bustle of the night markets along the main street.

Also missed the pastry shop at ground level of PE ..selling cream profiteroles … and the soft icecream cones…

Gone were the good old days .. sigh

7. Karu says:

It was formally known as Emporium Perak before it was taken over by Parkson. I agree with Tony….it was the only emporium those days before Super Kinta, Dayi, Kwong Fatt, Glory etc. took over the business.

8. NCK says:

Before Perak Emporium was opened, Ipoh Emporium was there at Jln Raja Ekram. Then, Beauty Shopping Centre was opened at Hugh Low Street. In the 70′s, these three were the better-known shopping centres in Ipoh. Ipoh Emporium offered plenty of affordable Chinese products. If I remember correctly, Kwong Yik mainly sold textiles, and maybe some clothes. Then, within a short span of a few years in early 80′s, other shopping centres like Super Kinta, Dayi, Crescendo, and Angel took turn to arive.

9. IpohBoy says:

I remember it vividly too…it was before the fire. Super Kinta were still very much alive back then and the ease of parking had always encouraged my parents to choose Super Kinta over Parkson here and of course at that time Super Kinta were way larger too….by the way…anyone with some photos of Super Kinta back then when it was still very famous? I kinda missed it.

10. Tany says:

Oh God, I used to go to this parkson when I was a kid.. I still remember clearly how the place looks like, and I remember the first cheap handheld game I bought here :D And of course, it’s the only place to buy school bags before the place burned down.

11. Ruth Iversen Rollitt says:

How nice to known that people still have good memories of the Old Lam Looking Building, – one of the first buildings my father created!

sk writes:

sk is right: Parkson was part of the Lion Group — but as for the dates: the Emporium opened in 1972; folded in the late 1980s, not in the late 1970s; and Parkson arrived not in 1983 but in 1987, after which it took another couple of years for the business to approach its full potential.

Meanwhile, database entry 6229 says:

Nonetheless the building was put back into use as the Parkson Ria shopping centre for a while and then Payless also tried to make it a success.

Or rather, the Lion Group tried in two different ways to make it a success: Parkson Ria and Payless were both brands owned by Lion.