It is said that the main building of the Angle Chinese School (ACS) was ‘erected and opened in 1914’. It was also said to have a ‘landmark, Edwardian-style building’ which stood ‘parallel to Lahat Road’. Interestingly, this building was designed by C H LaBrooy! (for more on ACS, click here)

This picture here was sent to us by Ignatius Chew. Do you recognise anyone?

1. PT says:

Ignatius, this is by far the oldest photo of ACS that I am looking at. It is rather interesting to connect the place where the picture was taken. Thanks.

2. LMS136 says:

The trees, the grass patch and the rattan chairs were long gone. It is also no longer fashionable to wear white jacket and white shoes. All in all, and judging by the hair style , was this photo taken in the pre- WW II era?

The photo could be indicative of a time when life was less rushed and facilities were not burdened
    by the need to cater for large numbers.

It is also interesting to know that at least 2 students were allowed to dress differently in a posed
    photo.

3. Joshua Anantham says:

This is indeed a very beautiful picture of the school’s history. The trophies might indicate that it’s a shot of a sports house or club. Those sitting, long-sleeved and wearing neckties gives me the impression that they are school masters. Then again, there couldn’t have been many home-bred teachers back then. Dare not make any further assumptions. Merely suggesting possibilities..

Most of the men may not be around anymore but these are the individuals who have paved and laid foundations to what the school was in ensuing years. Countless men and women of calibre were produced who have made their marks in society. It is indeed very beautiful.

ACS Ipoh leads the way. Proud to be a product.

4. A.E.Kuganeswaran says:

If I’m not mistaken, the place where this photo was taken is the current assembly ground of ACS. Gosh, I miss my days as an Acsian. I miss ACS a lot. :’)
    ACS leads the way. ..And always will! 😀

5. Ignatius Chiew says:

The comments so far are interesting and accurate. The photo is dated 1936. Most of the people in it would be in their late 80’s or 90’s now if still living. My father is standing sixth from the left. I think it shows the school volley ball team. Unless the children of these people have the photo or similar ones, I guess it is difficult to identify them. Looking at the faces you will notice the various races in Malaya at that time.
    LMS136′ observation about rattan chairs is correct. I would add that the chairs on the extreme left and right look like wooden types found in coffee shops.

6. LMS136 says:

Hi Ignatius,

I was very intrigued as to the year when this photo was taken. Thanks for letting us know that it was 1936. A most interesting glimpse of life then.

I am sure that your father who have accumulated paraphernalia of those days and have much to tell us about life, including at ACS Ipoh, then. Would make very interesting reading if you care to share.

7. Joshua Anantham says:

I think this picture was taken in front of the 1914 building (main block). If you notice the twin pillars, that’s the centre projection. The Principal parks his car here today.. 🙂

Looks much better with the trees..

8. S.Y. Lee says:

For the information of the old boys, there is now a tennis court in front of the school though the paint seems to be wearing out. Perhaps some of the old boys can help? They have formed a cricket team which according to the principal is now active and improving.

9. LMS136 says:

Hi , S.Y.Lee,

It’s good to see ACS Ipoh reinstating these games.

How should the Old Boys help – repaint the lines on the court surface or help in coaching and building up a formidable team?

10. Jonathan Moffatt says:

I recently came across the name of HECTOR RITCHIE who was a well known Perak Rugby player pre-and post World War 2. I understand he was a student at your school and I think was later an administrator or teacher there? He served in the FMSVF Light Battery [Ipoh section] in 1941-1942 and was later interned by the Japanese.
    I would welcome more information on Hector Ritchie.
    best wishes
    Jonathan Moffatt

Malayan Volunteers Group
    Coventry UK

11. Ignatius Chiew says:

Hi LMS136,
    I have sent photos of ACS to IpohWorld, including class photos of 1936 – 1937(Senior Cambridge class). IpohWorld has so many photos that it’s probably difficult to select a representative cross-section for publishing on the web.

12. Alex Ritchie says:

Hector Ritchie was my father and he was indeed a student at ACS. in fact he was brought up in the orphanage and later became a clerk at the school. After the war he got married and moved to Penang where he became a cargo surveyor. He passed away in 2003 at the age of 89.

13. Mike Rowbotham (UK) says:

Alexander Hector Ritchie
    I have a fascination for family history and happened to be on holiday in Malysia June 2011. My wife and I were there at the invitation and accompanying friends, David Yan and his partner. Combining a visit to David’s parents in Ipoh and taking a holiday. During a visit to Batu Garah ‘God’s Little Acre’ cemetery David’s partner Lavinia happened to note a grave ‘Alexander Hector Ritchie of Bucksburn Aberdeenshire 7th Sept 1914 aged 34.David’s family having links to Hector and family.
    Carrying out a search on the net I found a reference to a son John George Ritchie born 1917 Singapore, death 7th March 1993.
    Whether there is a typo error born 1917, his father dying in 1914!!!?
    It is interesting that Alex states his father Hector was brought up in an orphanage, he being born about 1914, the year his father died.
    Alexander had married Tan Kim Poon in 1912, she having been born in Phuket. It was while looking further into Alexander Hector that I came across this site. I have forwarded Alexanders family details to David so Alex expect a contact.
    I am making assumptions but there can’t be many Alexander Hector Ritchies in Malayia – can there?